The Boston Society for Architecture (BSA) is a partnership between the Boston Society of Architects (BSA/AIA) and the BSA Foundation with a bold mission of improving the lives of those in the Greater Boston area by championing innovation in the built environment. As a member-led association, the BSA/AIAis one of the oldest and largest chapters of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) in the United States. Comprised of world-renowned architects, designers, engineers, builders, and other industry professionals, the BSA/AIA’s membership includes some of the leading thinkers and innovators in professional practice today. As acommunity organization dedicated to enhancing lives for all in Greater Boston through design, the foundation’s work complements that of the BSA/AIA.
The BSA is at a critical inflection point in its evolution, as it launches a series of collaborative innovation projects aimed at addressing the built environment’s impact on climate and equity and seeks to become a community impact organization.
Under the direction of the managing director overseeing marketing and communications, the senior marketing and communications manager is responsible for the development and execution of external marketing and communications.The senior manager must be a creative problem-solver and strategic thinker who has worked in entrepreneurial environments, is comfortable during times of organizational transition, and is passionate about the BSA’s goals to impact sustainability and equity in the built environment. In this newly created position, the senior marketing and communications manager will have the exciting opportunity to position the organization as a leader of innovation in the built environment and help drive engagement to support the BSA’s realization of its goals.
Primary Position Duties and Responsibilities
· Develop and execute a multi-channel, data-driven marketing and communications strategy that promotes the BSA’s mission and work, championing both the architecture profession as well as innovation in the built environment.
· Create clear, compelling, and differentiating content for various audiences – to be disseminated across channels – to build awareness of and support for the BSA’s mission and innovation efforts. As part of content creation and distribution, research, capture, and articulate stories of members, supporters, and collaborative projects.
· Continually track data for each communications channel, and modify strategies and tactics,as appropriate, to maximize impact.
· Implement processes and systems to empower communications planning and successful execution of priorities and plans.
· Oversee and manage specific projects, and support and work closely with others on the small communications team, staff colleagues, and partners.
· Establish and maintain strong relationships with individuals throughout the organization, including staff and members, as well as external stakeholders to help translate strategies and projects/initiatives into effective communications.
· Work with the managing director and outside consultants to develop a new brand for the BSA and develop standards to ensure brand consistency across all externally-facing materials.
· Work withexternal communications vendors and freelancers as needed.
· Take on other projects and tasks, as requested.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
· Five to eight years’ experience in digital marketing and communications.
· Strong digital marketing skills, including website, social media, and newsletters, as well as experience with media relations and promoting events.
· Advanced writing skills with ability to produce copy for a range of audiences and marketing/communications channels. Ability to craft technical language into accessible narrative. Creative thinker.
· Great planning, organizational, and problem-solving skills. Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects of various scales and stages of development.Superior attention to detail and highly organized.
· Experience developing successful relationships with colleagues and working across teams, as well as independently, and engaging with diverse constituents (such as professional audiences, community groups, civic/public sector leaders, etc.) and, ideally, in community-engaged work.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment. Comfortable with ambiguity.
· Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, SharePoint, and MailChimp. Knowledge of Adobe Creative and Photoshop a plus, but not required. Basic photography or videography skills a plus but not required.
· Passion for the BSA’s mission and its efforts to address the impacts of the built environment on climate and equity.The BSA offers a full benefits package that includes: Paid time off; medical/dental/vision insurance; 100% employer-paid life and disability insurance; 401(k) retirement; professional development funding; and charitable contribution match.
The BSA currently has a hybrid working environment.The BSA is passionate about fostering an inclusive and respectful work environment and values
diversity is all its forms. Applicants of all race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and/or
expression, sexual orientation, education, national origin, marital status, genetics, disability, age, veteran status and diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States.
About this Organization:
The Boston Society for Architecture (BSA) is a partnership between the Boston Society of Architects (BSA/AIA) and the BSA Foundation (Foundation). As a member-led association, the BSA is one of the oldest and largest chapters of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) in the United States. Comprised of world-renowned architects, designers, engineers, builders, and other industry professionals, the BSA benefits from a committed membership who are some of the leading thinkers and innovators in professional practice today. The BSA serves as a convener, advocate, and partner to ensure that the power of design is fully understood, valued, and leveraged as an essential tool in ensuring Greater Boston is a beacon for equity and climate adaption and environmental stewardship.