Under the general direction of the Manager of Studio Art Classes, the Studio Assistant serves as an aid for Studio Art Classes including helping teachers with instruction in the classroom; supporting students’ needs; overseeing general maintenance of classrooms, set ups, and supply inventory; as well as with customer service by conducting check-in/out procedures.
- Work alongside experienced and professional art educators who will provide mentorship and guidance
- Gain valuable skills in customer service by communicating with a variety of audiences, visitors, and students
- Observe different stages of child development and use of age appropriate art materials by working directly with students ages 5 – 18
- Learn skills in classroom management and effective lesson planning
- Understand best practices for studio safety
- Maintains a safe and healthy studio and classroom environment
- Provides set up of furniture and equipment
- Helps clean the studio classrooms and maintains the organization of the supply room
- Regularly communicates with studio art administrative staff for supply requests, inventory and any repair or replacement needs of furniture and equipment
- Supports instructors with classroom management including giving individual students one-on-one attention as needed
- Helps instructors prepare project materials for classes and implement lesson plans
- Supervises students in the MFA’s galleries (students of all ages when closed to the public, and minors under the age of 12 at all times)
- Welcomes students and conducts check-in/out procedures, including escorting to classrooms and various locations
- Other duties as assigned
SCHEDULE AND PAY
9:30am - 3:45pm, with a 45 minute break. Must commit to the full 10 week winter session for Saturdays and/or Sundays as follows:
SAT 1/7, 1/14, 1/21, 1/28, 2/4, 2/11, 2/25, 3/4, 3/11, 3/18 (No class 2/18)
SUN 1/8, 1/15, 1/22, 1/29, 2/5, 2/12, 2/26, 3/5, 3/12, 3/19 (No class 2/19)
Must commit to at least one weekend day. This position is non-exempt, temporary/on call status as hourly employees. $17.25 per hour.
The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive work environment and strongly encourage and welcome an application pool that reflects our commitment.