Museum Retail Operations Manager
Position: Retail Operations Manager
Supervisor: Chief of Staff
Type: 40 hours per week;
Salary Range: $58-62,000
Target Start Date: ASAP
Revolutionary Spaces is a new arts &
culture organization on Boston’s Freedom Trail, formed in January 2020 by the
merger of the Bostonian Society and Old South Association. Through
partnerships, theater and arts, exhibits, and other cultural activities,
Revolutionary Spaces brings people together to explore the history and continue
the work of democracy that was started in part in the two historic sites and
museums we care for – Old South Meeting House and the Old State House, located
two blocks from each other in the heart of downtown Boston.
Revolutionary Spaces is an equal
opportunity employer. We value inclusion, relevance, boldness of thought, and
engagement in our work.
Revolutionary Spaces operates four gift shops,
including museum shops at the Old State House and Old South Meeting House as
well as satellite shops at Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. As of April 1, 2022, two of these shops have
reopened, and we are looking to expand our team as we approach our summer high
season. We are searching for an outgoing, detail-oriented self-starter to serve
as our Retail Operations Manager. This person will take charge of ensuring the
smooth daily operations of the shops, including troubleshooting technology and
employee needs and managing cash handling.
- Collaborate with the President & CEO, Chief
of Staff, and supervisory team to firm up operational systems across the
- Act as liaison between the retail shops and
the Visitor Experience team.
- Serve as in-house expert on retail management
- Serve as Retail liaison with outsourced
technology firm as needed.
- Develop and implement systems and procedures
to facilitate and improve the ordering, receiving and stocking of
merchandise in the stores.
- Manage small wholesale business aimed at other
retailers in Boston.
- Work with staff to develop and implement
systems and procedures to optimize retail and customer service sales
- At least 5 years’ experience working in a
- Prior management experience strongly preferred
- Experience with inventory management and
- Experience with Retail Information Systems
(RPro) strongly preferred, but not necessary
- Strong sense of organization and time
- Friendly, outgoing and engaging with customers
- Good team player
- Able to handle multiple tasks effectively
- Able to easily move between multiple buildings
during the day which have multiple flights of stairs and no elevators [Old
State House, Old South Meeting House, Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market as
well as any future store locations]
- Extreme comfort working with technology and
handling IT issues as they arise
- Able to be “on-your-feet” for eight-hour shift
- Able to lift and carry at least 25-40 pounds
- High level of ability in reading, writing and
- Good office computer skills – email, Excel,
Generous vacation, sick and Federal holidays schedule; 403b with
5% match after one year; Health insurance; Life, AD&D, and Long-Term
Disability insurance; FSA Medical & Dependent care accounts; and free
admission to many local museums.
How To Apply:
To apply, please email
HR@RevolutionarySpaces.org with your resume and cover letter.
June 03, 2022
$58,000 - $62,000 / Per year
About this Organization:
Revolutionary Spaces connects people to the history and personal practice of democracy through an encounter with two of the nation’s most important Revolutionary sites, Boston’s Old State House and the Old South Meeting House.
We believe that each person has an important role to play in sustaining democracy and shaping our shared society. Through our interpretive programming – exhibits, tours, theatrical performances, visual art installations, and facilitated conversations – we seek to inspire all people to wrestle with the question of how to draw the circle of “We” in “We the People”.