The Archaeological Exploration of Sardis
, sponsored by the Harvard Art Museums
and Cornell University, has been excavating at Sardis in western Turkey since 1958. The site has yielded finds from the Lydian, Persian, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Ottoman, and other cultures. Most of the Expedition's records are housed at the Archaeological Exploration of Sardi's office at the Somerville research center of the Harvard Art Museums, which serves as the administrative headquarters for the Expedition, as well as a center for research and publication. In addition to the Coordinator, full-time staff members in the Harvard office include the Expedition Administrator and Publications Research Editor.
Sardis seeks a coordinator to work closely with the Expedition Administrator and Publications Research Editor to coordinate the daily functions of the office, including its excavation, research, publication, and outreach activities. The coordinator also collaborates with museums colleagues in Finance, Curatorial and other divisions to accomplish goals.
The Coordinator implements and processes administrative and financial systems and procedures pertaining to Sardi's activities and programs. The position is also responsible for maintaining and organizing Expedition records and assisting with the digitization of existing physical records for access within content management systems. The range of responsibilities varies through the year, with precedence on tasks associated with the preparation for the submission of the permit application in the fall and with the preparation for the field season in the spring. Duties & Responsibilities:
Supports financial processes:
- Prepares and submits financial forms such as invoice payment requests and travel grant advance requests within multiple Harvard systems and compliant with Harvard’s policies and procedures;
- Assists with reconciliation of foreign transactions;
- Tracks and verifies activity in current-use and endowment accounts;
- Supports gift processing and donor correspondence;
- Communicates with and facilitates setting up vendors in Harvard systems.
Serves as the principal source of information to a variety of constituents:
- Communicates with Sardis team members, Harvard offices, donors, supporters, researchers, students, and faculty on a variety of issues including policies and procedures;
- Prepares and distributes advertising, notices, invitations, and paper and electronic mailings in connection with lectures and other events;
- Monitors general office email account and acts as the first line of contact for Sardis inquiries.
Assists with logistics for the excavation season:
- Coordinates the completion, submission, and delivery of all required forms and documentation, including visas, passports, permit applications, financial, travel, and participant agreements;
- Coordinates purchases and delivery of supplies; verifies return of supplies and documents after the field season.
Provides general administrative and research support:
- Executes logistics for lectures and events, including arranging venues and catering
- Makes travel arrangements;
- Assists with the shipment of publications and distribution of copies;
- Organizes and maintains files and inventories of records as well as metadata in the database;
- Maintains records of Expedition which include 60+ years of photographs, negatives, slides, drawings, field reports,and the ephemera attached according to archival best practices and assists with organization and access as needed
- Assists with digitizing of legacy records;
- Tracks and maintains electronic mailing lists and databases for events, staff, Supporters of Sardis, and donor recordsMay oversee temporary or student employees;
- Performs related duties as required.
PLEASE NOTE: During the current period of Covid-19 related restrictions, this position may start as a remote position, with the transition to onsite in Cambridge when the office reopens.We continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 and the lifting of restrictions. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected candidates until further notice. Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Candidates MUST meet the following basic qualifications in order to be considered for this role:
Additional Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum of 3 years of related administrative experience; a combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks in relation to deadlines and relative importance; strong attention to detail and accuracy;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Commitment to teamwork and an ability to work independently and proactively with limited direction;
- Competency using a variety of software programs (MS Office) and willingness to learn new programs (Google, FileMaker Pro, Mailchimp, and other web and social media tools);
- Experience with digitization and familiarity with best practices as well as the creation of metadata for content management systems desirable• Helpful, welcoming, customer-service oriented;
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitivematerial/information with discretion;
- Ability to provide creative solutions to complex administrative tasks
- Familiarity with Harvard systems desirable;
- An interest or background in archaeology, art history, classics, or anthropology a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
November 14, 2021
$53,000 - $55,000
About this Organization:
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world and as a research university and nonprofit institution, Harvard is focused on creating educational opportunities for people from many lived experiences.
Harvard University is an equal opportunity employer and views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.