MASS MoCA is seeking a dynamic full-time Studios Manager to
join the Assets for Artists / Studios at MASS MoCA Department, a team of
experienced creative professionals who help artists to flourish. Begun in 2015,
the Studios at MASS MoCA welcomes approximately 150 artists per year for stays
of typically 2-4 weeks. Over 700 artists have been in residence in the Studios,
traveling from around the U.S. and 25 countries.
The Studios Manager oversees the key operations of the
Studios at MASS MoCA residency program, making sure that all current and future
artists in residence at the Studios at MASS MoCA are well taken care of and
have their needs met to the best of A4A’s abilities. The Studios Manager oversees
all aspects of the Studios at MASS MoCA programming, from studio upkeep and
maintenance, to artist selection (organizing application reviews), to
scheduling and communicating with selected artists before they arrive, to
serving as the first line of support for artists while they are in residence.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Application Process: Create residency application forms on
Submittable, and oversee application review and selection process with A4A
Director and independent reviewers.
* Scheduling & Payments: Oversee scheduling of incoming
artists-in-residence, including data entry into Airtable, sending out award
letters, processing paperwork and checks as they come in, and creating and
monitoring Square invoices for credit card payments.
* Facilities: Keep the studios, supply closet, sinks,
office, kitchenette and communal areas clean and organized. Schedule cleanings
at the Studios with the maintenance crew. Keep an inventory of all tools and
supplies that belong to the Studios and office. Keep studio wall paint, spackle
and painting tools well stocked and available for artists. Order new tools and
office supplies when necessary.
* Internal Communication: Update staff at MASS MoCA when a
new group of residents arrives, and update appropriate staff about Studios
events and visitors to the Studios.
* Turnover: In coordination with other members of the team,
manage turnover-related duties including becoming familiar with incoming groups
in order to assign studios and apartments that will best suit the needs of
incoming artists, and getting apartments, studios, keys, and supporting
materials ready for the next artists to arrive.
* Meals & Welcome Events: Be responsible for monitoring
lunch orders, and availability to attend most Studios-related events (including
some evening events). Note: A different staff person has responsibility for
coordinating most studios events, so the primary event responsibility is
* Email & Text Messaging Correspondence: Act as the main
correspondent for all Studios-related questions and inquiries, including
on-call support for artists-in-residence who have questions and challenges
during their residency. (Time is budgeted for communications that must
sometimes occur outside of in-the-office hours.)
* Highly personable & welcoming; able to foster a sense of positive energy, enjoyment and mutual support among the visiting artists; mature, with good judgment and a sense of humor in order to maintain a kind, caring and safe residency environment.
* Effective prioritizer with time management skills; able to balance short term and long term tasks.
* Knowledge of the needs and perspectives of practicing artists.
* Deep understanding of and commitment to Anti-Racism and DEAI work, especially in the context of hospitality.
* Problem-solver, with a gentle way of helping manage issues that artists face while in residence.
* 3+ years experience providing artist support programming and/or studio residency management and support
*High school diploma, GED or equivalent
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively in a team environment
* Detail oriented and exceptional organizational skills
* Experience working with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) / database systems (Airtable experience preferred)
Must be proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google docs
* Must be able to use a computer and be comfortable with technology.
* Some duties of this position require climbing multiple flights of stairs and being able to work outside when artists are being oriented
* Some lifting and carrying is required when helping turn over apartments and studios for the next cohort to arrive.
* Flexibility to work both in the Studios and from home, as needed, to help meet the needs of artists at non-traditional hours.
* Position may require extended hours, work on weekends, holidays and for festivals and events.
* Must be vaccinated for COVID-19
As defined by the National Labor Relations Act, this position is part of the bargaining unit for UAW Local 2110.
How To Apply:
Please apply online at MASS MoCA at:https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Apply/743529/Mass-Museum-of-Contemporary-Art/Studios-Manager
November 05, 2021
About this Organization:
Since opening in 1999, MASS MoCA has become one of the world's premier centers for making and showing the best art of our time. With annual attendance of 120,000, it ranks among the most visited institutions in the United States dedicated to new art. More than 80 major new works of art and more than 50 performances have been created through fabrication and rehearsal residencies in North Adams, making MASS MoCA perhaps the most fertile site in the country for new art. The museum thrives on making and presenting work that is fresh, surprising, and challenging.
MASS MoCA exhibits work by many of the most important artists of today—both well known, and emerging—focusing on large-scale and complex installations that are impossible to realize in conventional museums. Our broad, soaring galleries with 110,000 square feet of open, flexible space and their robust industrial character have proven both inspiring and empowering to artists.
An essential and integral part of MASS MoCA's mission are the more than 75 performances staged year-round, including popular music, contemporary dance, alternative cabaret, world music dance parties, outdoor silent films with live music, documentaries, and avant-garde theater.