Boston Symphony Orchestra
Human Resources - MCC301 Massachusetts Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
April 13, 2021
Senior Publicist with Photo and Video Component
The Boston Symphony Orchestra has had a long tradition and commitment of bringing an array of musical experiences across our three brands – BSO, Pops and Tanglewood to the community and the world. The key to our success has been our employees from the musicians onstage to those behind the scenes.
We have an opportunity available for a Senior Publicist to join our Press Office team. You will work with the Director of Public Relations with key aspects of the operation, including creating and maintaining relationships with press in the arts, lifestyle, and travel sectors; managing the office’s library of photo and video assets; working closely with the marketing team on social media efforts, writing and editing press materials; and pitching features, reviews, and interviews to online and local print outlets.
- Develop and maintain relationships with print, television and online press outlets. Work closely with conductors, guest performers, orchestra, and staff to develop story angles to pitch to journalists at local and national media outlets. Assist Director in following up on stories already in progress; correspond directly with journalists to provide information and schedule interviews.
- Develops key relationships with travel and visitor bureaus in Boston, the Berkshires, and tour cities to take full advantage of promotional opportunities and travel press visits in association with coverage of BSO and Pops activities. Expand on the office’s travel press list and outreach, creating short and long-term plans to expand BSO coverage in travel outlets.
- Publicize Pops tour concerts including generating story ideas, placing stories in print, radio, television, and online, arranging interviews and servicing all press requests. Occasionally act as sole press representative for Pops tours, traveling with the orchestra and overseeing all press coverage for each concert, including interacting with and scheduling interviews for Boston Pops Conductor Keith Lockhart.
- Manage Press Office photo and video needs including managing and schedule photographers and videographers for shoots; editing and cataloging images; pitching and disseminating photo and video assets to press outlets; maintaining photo libraries; processing all image requests; and staffing photographers for performances. Work with BSO, Inc. video team on press video needs.
- Manage orchestra photo wall project: working with orchestra personnel office, orchestra members, and photographer, schedule and coordinate all photo shoots; get photo approvals; work with development office for proper recognition of named positions; and oversee final preparations of image framing details.
- Write and edit press materials, with special emphasis on press releases, press calls, and pitch letters, as well as update fact sheets and histories. Set up and distribute press releases through Mail2/Prospect2, using Dreamweaver to create HTML emails.
- Working closely with Senior Publicist #1, work closely with public relations and marketing colleagues to generate new ideas for social media, blog posts, and online sites. Create informal video for use on BSO’s social media channels.
- Respond to general and press requests for information for all activities; Write descriptions and fill out forms for publications requesting information.
- Regularly update and expand Press Office media contacts database, including print, broadcast, and online journalists, with special emphasis on music, arts, and travel media outlets
- Accompany still photographers and video cameras during special events and performances by the BSO, Pops, and at concerts during the Tanglewood season
This position requires relocation to Tanglewood from late June through Labor Day. Weekend work required during Tanglewood season and occasionally throughout the year. (Remote 2021)
“We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Boston Symphony Orchestra is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and encourages applications from female and minority candidates.”
BS/BA degree with a concentration in Public Relations, Journalism, or English preferred. Knowledge or background in music a plus. 4-5 years of experience required, preferably in a public relations setting. Attention to detail and follow-through skills essential. Experience working with photographers and/or photo libraries required. Good writing and proof-reading skills needed. Pleasant telephone manner, excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with all levels both internal and external. Ability to deal with the public in a positive, respectful, and calm manner. Strong organizational skills with the ability to be flexible to the needs of the business and handle multiple projects simultaneously while working as a team player. Experience handling and maintaining the integrity of highly confidential material. Experience with Microsoft Office and strong typing skills required. Experience with HTML and/or Dreamweaver a plus. Flexibility to work overtime and weekends when needed. Basic photography skills and experience with social media communications important.
June 08, 2021
$66,000 - $71,000
About this Organization:
The Boston Symphony Orchestra, Inc., was founded in 1881 and is comprised of major sub-organizations including Boston Symphony Orchestra, Tanglewood Music Center, Days in the Arts, Tanglewood Festival Chorus, the Boston Pops, Esplanade Pops, and the Chamber Players.
The Boston Symphony Orchestra performs in historic Symphony Hall from October through May under the direction of Maestro Andris Nelsons. The Boston Pops Orchestra, under conductor Keith Lockhart, performs in Symphony Hall during May and June in addition to, annual series Holiday Pops concerts in December. In July and August the orchestra performs at Tanglewood, its summer home in the magnificent Berkshires of western Massachusetts. The administrative offices of the BSO employ approximately 175 people.