Reporting to the Director of Content and Digital Services, the Contributing Editor & Copywriter is responsible for creating cohesive and consistent messaging, narrative and text for the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Inc., and its Marketing department by working in close partnership with the Marketing & Audience Development team and other members of the Content & Digital Services team. This critical role will not only help to define and articulate the written standards for the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Boston Pops Orchestra, Tanglewood, Tanglewood Learning Institute and other BSO managed brands, but will help bring them to life through development of content used across all channels (both digital and traditional) to make marketing materials as compelling and effective as possible.
On an ongoing basis, the Contributing Editor & Copywriter will develop cohesive, multi-channel campaign messaging and will create compelling content in support of those campaigns for brochures, websites, blog posts, social media, email, video, audio and outdoor media based on strategic communications briefs developed by the Marketing & Audience Development team. In responding to these briefs and to other ad hoc needs and in partnership with the Creative Services team responsible for the visual representation of the brand, the role will help to fulfill the Marketing department’s communications objectives by delivering actively engaging taglines, product/service descriptions, stories and features that build a genuine connection between the organization’s offerings and our target audiences. Within owned digital properties, the role will be responsible for developing content that improves SEO standards. Across channels, edit and proofread content produced by others.
As necessitated by broader brand strategy development work, the Contributing Editor & Copywriter will also assist with translating foundational market research into tangible written brand standards and guidelines, evangelizing and helping to enforce those standards across the organization in order to ensure a cohesive brand voice. All content should both clarify details about the specific brand/product, while supporting the unified goals and guidelines of the BSO communications and Marketing strategies overall. Help to define more specific standards and guidelines by channel as appropriate (e.g. email, social media, etc.).
- Produce content for seasonal BSO Marketing efforts and brand-building campaigns
- Create content across Boston Symphony Orchestra, Boston Pops Orchestra, Tanglewood Music Festival, Tanglewood Learning Institute, Tanglewood Music Center, July 4 Fireworks Spectacular, BSO NOW, BSO Youth and Family Concerts, and other programs as they arise
- Partner with Artistic Administration, Box Office, Corporate Partnerships, Development, Education & Community Engagement, Event Services, Information Technology, Media, Public Relations, Publications as projects require to create content
- Create content across uses and channels: brochures, websites, blog posts, social media, email, video, audio and outdoor media
- Use SEO best practices in web content to improve BSO search standings
- Analyze content marketing metrics and make changes in voice and subject matter to achieve content goals
- Edit and proofread content produced by other members of the team and outside contributors
“We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Boston Symphony Orchestra is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and encourages applications from female and minority candidates.”