Manager reports directly to the Executive Director and is responsible for the
smooth and efficient operation of the finance functions of SSN including
accounting, systems, and technology. Position executes ongoing financial transactions
of organization (bookkeeping), analyzes financial information and prepares
financial reports for non-profit organization. Position also is responsible for
data collection and analysis, including report generation; payroll and
benefits; grant administration; and administrative systems. Directs and
co-ordinates technology and systems.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Accounting and Finance
· Execute the daily financial activities – accounts receivable and pledges, accounts payable and cash disbursements; review invoices, code to appropriate account, review expenditures, requests for checks, bill funding sources and insure deposits are made.
· Compile financial information to prepare entries to accounts, such as general ledger accounts, documenting business transactions.
· Maintain financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), including perform month-end closing duties including journal entries, preparation of financial statements including balance sheet, profit and loss statement, cash flow schedule, and projections.
· Reconcile monthly bank statements
· Ensure adherence to accounting principles and accounting control procedures. Introduce controls where appropriate.
· Collect appropriate data and prepare monthly management reports, including budget variance reports and forecasts.
· Conduct financial analysis (such as profitability and pricing) to support decision making.
· Prepare annual budget and forecasts working with the ED and the finance committee
· Work with external auditors on annual financials and preparation of Form 990
· Work to improve efficiencies and where necessary recommend upgrades or cost savings
· Maintain fixed asset tracking and compliance regarding restricted v. unrestricted gifts
· Co-ordinate insurance renewals and third-party vendor contracts (landscaping, snow removal, etc.)
Technology and Reporting Systems
· Manage outsourced vendor to ensure that the IT/database and telecommunication infrastructure maximizes technology to effectively meet and anticipate needs
· Manage all data collection and registration systems
· Manage grant compliance and perform grant tracking and reporting to government agencies
Payroll and benefits
· Maintain human resource records.
· Administer employee benefit programs, payroll taxes and analyze cost trends
· Manage payroll functions-timesheets, grant time tracking, payroll, and transfers for outsourced payroll vendor
· Compliance-follow changes in MA laws, employee related, but also regulations for Public Charities e.g. annual HIRD form, Earned Sick Pay law in 2016, FMLA, Form 5500, etc.
Qualifications and Competencies needed
Bachelor’s degree required in accounting, business or
Minimum of five-years accounting experience, including
Understanding of federal, state and municipal grant
Experience with computerized accounting software
Experience with outsourced payroll system
Knowledge of MS Word and Excel required, adept knowledge
of QuickBooks desktop version
Excellent communication and relationship building skills
Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions
and improve quality
Attention to detail and hands-on in a complex
environment (preschool, music school); must be exceptionally accurate and
Ability to meet deadlines and project management skills
Commitment to mission of SSN and inclusion
Understands SSN’s programs and its components