Visitor Experience Staff
Visitor Experience Manager
8-30 hours per week; nonexempt
Start Date: June 1, 2021
in January 2020, Revolutionary Spaces is a new organization on Boston’s civic
and cultural landscape. Our mission is to bring people together to explore
the ongoing American struggle to create and sustain a free society as
singularly evoked by the two national treasures we care for -- Boston’s
Old South Meeting House and Old State House.
Through community partnerships, contemporary forms of
storytelling, and important civic conversations, Revolutionary Spaces
strives to bring people together to explore the history and continue the
work of democracy that took shape in these buildings, located two blocks from each
other in the heart of downtown Boston. We are dedicated to creating experiences
for our audiences that not only deepen understanding of the past, but also
provide a fresh perspective on the world we live in today and help us create
new ideas and tools to build a more just and equitable tomorrow.
Revolutionary Spaces is an equal opportunity employer.
We center our work on the following values:
- Inclusion:We are dedicated to diversity, equity, and
inclusion and ensuring accessibility on multiple dimensions.
- Relevance: We are dedicated to creatively linking lessons of the past with
the interests and concerns of Boston’s diverse communities today.
of thought:We address challenging topics and promote
understanding in response to controversy.
- Engagement: We encourage people to engage, add their voices to today’s
debates, and collaborate with others to discover new ways of thinking.
Visitor Experience Staff position is a new role on the Museum Experience team.
Bringing together education, visitor experience, and interpretation under one
umbrella, the position offers a unique opportunity to work with a dynamic new
organization to reinvent the public experience of two of the nation’s most
significant 18th-century buildings and make them relevant and resonant to
21st-century audiences. Reporting to the Visitor Experience Manager and
Supervisor, Visitor Experience Staff are the front-facing team for our public
interpretation, education, and general visitor experiences. Responsible for
executing gallery talks, tours of our sites, and facilitating interactive games
and activities for school groups and the general public, Visitor Experience
Staff are responsible for all visitors’ experiences from when they walk into
the door to buy tickets to when they walk out our doors after exploring a
variety of interpretive and experiential options.
- Greet visitors and inform them of the different
offerings available to them at Revolutionary Spaces
- Provide general customer service throughout the
- Deliver varied programming, including tours, gallery talks, video
chats, and facilitated conversations and activities
- Operate a ticketing system and handle cash and credit card
- Provide clear and thoughtful feedback to Visitor Experience
Manager, Supervisor, and Director regarding museum programming in an
effort to better iterate and improve museum offerings
Open and close two historic sites in downtown Boston
- Ability to work weekends and some holidays
- A strong interest in history, and a desire to make Revolutionary
Era history relevant to contemporary audiences and to widen its reach, or
a genuine willingness to learn
- Past experience with museum experience or education preferred, but
- Ability and willingness to speak with audiences from broad and
diverse backgrounds about history and contemporary issues
- Previous cash handling experience preferred, but not required
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and creative
- Attention to detail and ability
- Ability to walk up and down steep, narrow staircases and lift up to
will be expected to work out of offices and historic sites in downtown
Boston. Some staff offices are located on the third floor of a 300 year
old historic building without an elevator. Candidates should be able to
carry equipment and supplies up and down stairs.
Generous paid time off schedule; 403b with
5% match after one year; and free admission to many local museums.