Berkshire Botanical Garden (BBG) is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit, membership-supported educational organization encompassing over 24 acres in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. The Garden’s mission is “to fulfill the community’s need for information, education and inspiration concerning the art and science of gardening and the preservation of our local environment.” Its Communications Department honors this mission by representing the Garden as a lively, creative hub where all Garden programs, classes and events are marketed and promoted to drive visitation and BBG’s visibility in the community. The department collaborates with a talented Marketing Committee of staff and board members experienced in public relations, art programming, and event planning, and aims to bring unique events to the Garden and its galleries. 2021 marks the Garden's 87th season.
BBG’s communications assistant performs duties that support ongoing programs including more than 150 workshops and classes, several large community events, and rotating art exhibitions annually. This deadline-driven, detail-oriented position requires creative thinking and team-based interaction with the Communications Director and eleven-member Marketing Committee. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, creating written, photographic and video content for several Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube accounts, press releases, and the Garden’s quarterly magazine, Cuttings; assisting in creating effective campaigns in email marketing through Constant Contact, and overseeing analytics and media reports for BBG’s management and board. The successful candidate will possess excellent organizational skills, work well on deadline, and exhibit a professional and collaborative approach when interacting with BBG staff, board and the public. Attendance at after-hours and weekend events is required throughout the year.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary for this position is commensurate with experience and includes a full benefits package such as a generous health care reimbursement and paid time off. BBG encourages professional development and will help defray costs for staff to attend conferences and workshops throughout the year. Free enrollment in BBG adult community classes and workshops is offered for programs on a space available basis.
- Strong writing and editing abilities, preferably with an interest in or knowledge of horticulture or public gardens, parks, or arboreta.
- Creative visual artist with strong digital photography/video and photo editing skills, preferably with own camera equipment.
- Comfortable handling regular website management and editing tasks, using Drupal or similar web platforms, without the need for outside consultant help.
- Familiarity with various marketing tools, to create effective email outreach through Constant Contact or similar platforms, and experience in developing and implementing impactful and visually unique social media campaigns.
- Experience producing print publications, including working with outside graphic designers and interfacing with sponsors and advertisers.
- Energetic team player who collaborates effectively with staff, board, instructors, exhibiting artists, the media, and the public.
- Intuitive approach to marketing and public relations and excellent organizational and communication skills essential; a strong graphic design background preferred.
How To Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, three recent writing samples and up to five photography samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Berkshire Botanical Garden is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a work environment which is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation because of sex, gender, race, religion, color, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Berkshire Botanical Garden provides a beautiful and stimulating work environment, with each season highlighting its signature beauty and charm. The staff of 12-20 (depending on the season) work in various shared office spaces as well as on grounds, and share a common interest in the environment and the visitor/student experience. BBG is beginning the implementation of an ambitious master plan that will ultimately include a new visitor center, expanded formal and natural gardens and greenhouses.
March 31, 2021
$32,000 - $40,000
About this Organization:
The Berkshire Botanical Garden is dedicated to fulfilling the community's need for information, education, and inspiration concerning the art and science of gardening and the preservation and improvement of our local environment.