Visitor Services Associate
About the Clark
The Clark is a leading cultural institution and actively seeks employees who are energized and motivated by its dual mission as an art museum and a center for research and higher education, dedicated to advancing and extending the public understanding of art. The Clark’s mission and its geographical location define three essential aspects of its character and identity: the quality of its art, the beauty of its pastoral setting, and the depth of its commitment to the generation of ideas. Clark employees enjoy the opportunity to live and work in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts, a place of rich natural beauty, a dynamic environment defined by its deep cultural resources, and a region that is growing as both a center of innovation and a major tourist destination.Position Summary
The Clark is seeking a year-round, full-time Visitor Services Associate. This position includes admissions, membership, and box office sales, as well as providing a variety of administrative support functions including visitor and telephone reception. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite is essential and prior experience with point-of-sale (POS) systems is helpful. This position includes weekend shifts.Major Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Must be proficient with all front-line admission and membership software and systems, familiar with the front-line financial functions, and promote admission, membership, and marketing partnerships.
- Expedite the daily functions of the admissions and reception desks, including managing brochures, stickers, media guides, and front desk supply inventories.
- Manage work assignments for summer seasonal staff, as directed by the Senior Visitor Services Associate and/or the Visitor Services Coordinator.
- Maintain/organize the back-of-house storage areas and resources.
- Provide support for Clark volunteers on an as-needed basis.
- Provide telephone reception and assistance including staff connections, programs and events information, and ticket sales. Maintain telephone call and daily admissions log.
- Assist with Institute-wide department projects as needed.
- Assist in training and supervising part-time and seasonal staff to introduce and instill within them each of these essential functions.
- Quickly and effectively troubleshoot any breakdowns in systems, staffing, and/or visitor concerns.
- Oversee and assist in management of various outdoor parking lots around the Clark’s campus, including directing traffic, maintaining efficiency within each lot, and making on-the-fly decisions, especially during our busy Summer season.
- Other duties as assigned.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Moderate physical exertion required, including the ability to work standing for between four and eight hours a day in all weather conditions and the ability to lift up to 30 pounds occasionally.
- Work Environment: Work will be performed in an office environment and museum spaces, as well as outdoors during the Summer season. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Employment at the Clark is contingent on the verification of background information submitted by the applicant.
The Clark is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum QualificationsEducation, Training, and Skills
- High school education or equivalent required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to operate golf carts and accessible shuttle.
- Ability to work well independently and within a team, using a keen eye for detail, excellent problem-solving abilities, commitment to superior customer service, and demonstrate a high level of discretion and confidentiality.
- One year of prior relevant experience preferred.
How To Apply:
Please visit https://www.clarkart.edu/about/employment and click on "Visitor Services Associate" to apply.
March 12, 2021
$32,000 - $34,000
About this Organization:
Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute is one of only a small number of
institutions globally that is both an art museum and a center for research,
critical discussion, and higher education in the visual arts. Opened in 1955, the Clark houses an important collection including
exceptional European and American paintings and sculpture, extensive
collections of master prints and drawings, English silver, and early
photography. Its nineteenth-century French Impressionist paintings, including
more than thirty works by Pierre-Auguste Renoir, are a major strength of the
Clark Library, open to the public with more than 240,000 volumes, is one of the
nation’s premier art history libraries. The Clark also houses and co-sponsors
the Williams College Graduate Program in the History of Art.
The Clark’s 140-acre campus features scenic meadows and trails,
inviting visitors to enjoy art and ideas in a setting of great natural beauty.