About the SouthCoast Community Foundation:The mission of the SouthCoast Community Foundation is to mobilize philanthropy by matching donors and resources with community needs for the benefit of our region. The Foundation manages more than 200 funds ranging in size from $10,000 to nearly $9M with total assets of more than $40M, and awards grants and scholarships, in a typical year, of nearly $3.5M. These funds include donor-advised, scholarships, field of interest, fiscal sponsorship, and agency endowments. Founded in 1995, the Foundation proudly serves 41 cities and towns throughout Southeastern Massachusetts with a strong focus on New Bedford and Fall River.
Description of Position: The SouthCoast Community Foundation is looking for a Programs Officer who is eager to be part of a team mobilizing an innovative approach to improving people’s lives on the SouthCoast. This role is a unique and exciting opportunity for someone to join a dynamic, growing, and community based not-for-profit organization. The successful applicant will lead a well-established suite of programs to an entirely new level through three focus areas: arts & culture, education, and economic opportunity.
Working as part of a team, the Programs Officer is responsible for the development, execution, and administration of the Foundation’s grantmaking programs and related activities. These activities include connecting with nonprofit organizations, volunteer management for grant review and selection, management of fund distribution, and grant evaluation and reporting.
Key Responsibilities:The Programs Officer will be a community connector and oversee the grantmaking process, spending time in the field to understand the sectors served and each nonprofit’s particular delivery model. He/she will measure and evaluate the effectiveness of grants and programs, use a data-informed approach to adjust program offerings, respond to current trends, identify emerging needs, define best practices, and share findings with constituents.
Arts & Culture:
- Oversee the Creative Commonwealth Initiative to support training, grantmaking, and community-based arts initiatives with local nonprofits
- Promote access and inclusion in the arts and cultural ecosystems for youth, emerging entities, and culturally diverse populations
- Increase effectiveness and sustainability of arts and culture organizations with small to moderate annual operating budgets that serve culturally diverse populations
- Grow and diversify philanthropic investment in arts and culture
Education & Scholarships:
- Develop and activate a network of key community partners and stakeholders
- Work with Donor Associate on behalf of scholarship fund
- Support the Community Foundation Board’s educational initiative, specifically focused on early childhood and college and career readiness
- Provide administrative support to the scholarship process
- Collect data to measure plan progress toward the intended outcomes
- Manage grants from discretionary and field of interest funds
- Create and manage the system for attracting applicants to grant funds
- Work with nonprofits on their applications as needed
The Programs Officer also provides necessary support to three Board of Directors Committees: Arts & Culture, Education & Scholarship, and Grants.
This full-time, exempt position reports to the Director of Engagement and is based in New Bedford with occasional travel to the Fall River office and throughout the South Coast region.
- Facilitate and maintain a strong network and presence in nonprofit community
- Attend Foundation events occasionally outside normal work hours
- Assure integrity of data (Community Suite, GLM, Smarter Select and other) related to assigned grant programs
- Other duties as required or assigned.