Job Title: Director of Education
Supervisor: Executive Director
Direct Reports: Registrar, Studio & Exhibitions Coordinator, Ceramic Studio Manager, Facilities Manager, Faculty, Summer Coordinator
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
The New Art Center is a non-profit, community art education space which offers exceptional opportunities to make, exhibit, view, think about and talk about art. The Center seeks a dynamic, experienced Director of Education to oversee, implement and evaluate all programs, including studio art classes for all ages, exhibitions and associated public programs. This position will have primary operational responsibility for all New Art Center educational programming for the public. The position works with all staff and is also responsible for many aspects of the organization’s infrastructure: including operations, human resources and administration. The Director of Education is part of the senior management team, and works closely with the Executive Director on organizational development, strategic planning, outreach and finances.
- Ensure smooth day-to-day operations of a busy art school, with over 2,500 annual enrollments in two facilities and online.
- Provide all staff (direct reports and others) with a strong, supportive, approachable presence, empowering staff, building clear goals and work plans, facilitating access to resources, accountability, and troubleshooting.
- Manage, evaluate and hire (as needed) a faculty of 30-40 artist/teachers, studio managers, Registrar, and Facilities Manager, as well as identify, hire, train and manage temporary summer/vacation staff.
- Manage budget for education and exhibition programs revenues and expenses.
- Oversee annual schedule for in person and online classes, including income generating rentals and community requests.
- Supervise the Registrar regarding registrations, class participation and cancellations.
- Supervise the Ceramics Studio Manager and the Studio & Exhibitions Coordinator, which includes overseeing policies, studio and event operations, equipment purchase and maintenance and approval of supply purchases.
- Work with the Office Manager regarding contracts, payroll, and timesheets.
- Represent the organization externally as necessary.
- Design, implement, manage & coordinate all of New Art’s education programs (online and in-person.) This includes approximately 140 classes, workshops, vacation programs (teens, children, adults) each semester, and a 10-week summer program for children and teens and school vacation programs.
- Evaluate and supervise arts instruction for art students ranging from young children to seasoned adults.
- Develop content for quarterly catalogues of classes offered.
- Work with Marketing Manager to coordinate all program related printed and electronic marketing materials.
- Oversee internal, external and online exhibition program of 8+ exhibitions per year which provides students, staff, and faculty the opportunity to exhibit.
- Promote an organizational culture of reflection, curiosity, analysis, benchmarking, innovation, and open mutual feedback
- Ensure that the classes offered are mission-driven and revise or develop new classes as needed.
- Regularly evaluate ROI of classes and programs and revise or develop new classes as needed.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement.
- Assist and participate in the development of vision, goals and objectives to outline and implement the next phase of New Art Center’s strategic plan.
Other duties as assigned.
About this Organization:
About our Organization:
The New Art Center is a community art space which offers everyone exceptional opportunities to make, exhibit, view, think about and talk about art. Our organization offers a supportive culture that takes art and artists seriously. We serve over 2,500 students annually in hundreds of classes and workshops and we seek to lower barriers to participation, making the experience of art accessible to everyone through our outreach programs and scholarships. Our faculty includes some of the region’s most esteemed art educators. In two facilities that are welcoming and conveniently located, as well as through our online learning platform, we offer an inclusive, multi-generational approach to art education that has served children, teens and adults at all skill levels since 1977.
New Art Center is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and unequivocally supports racial equality, racial justice and racial equity.