Program Officer: Community Initiative
Mass Cultural Council is the state agency responsible for cultivating a rich cultural life for Massachusetts communities through a wide range of grants, direct services, field building, and advocacy work. We are currently seeking two individuals for the position of Program Officer in the Community Initiative.
The Community Initiative staff supports the Local Cultural Council program, the Cultural District initiative, and the Festival program and engages municipalities and other partners through a regional approach. The Community Initiative seeks to build community capacity for arts and culture.
The Program officers support the goal by:
- Being present in communities
- Listening to constituents
- Making connections with, among, and between constituents
- Supporting constituent efforts
The positions report to the Community Initiative Program Manager, and work closely with two other Program Officers and another Program Manager. Because the agency is dynamic and responsive a flexible and adaptable attitude is crucial.
Each Program Officer will serve as the primary contact for Cultural Districts (CDs) and Local Cultural Councils (LCCs) in three regions and should be able to communicate clearly and effectively, successfully establish relationships with constituents, offer high levels of customer service, diplomatically handle sensitive situations, and respond to constituent requests while meeting other important deadlines.
The Program Officer will:
- Conduct regular site visits to assigned communities
- Assist in the development and administration of services and programs for CDs and LCCs
- Respond to inquiries from CD and LCC volunteers, staff, applicants, partners, and municipal officials.
- Work to support smooth administration of the Cultural District Initiative and LCC Program on the local level.
- Provide guidance and support to LCCs and CDs in assigned regions
- Work to strengthen the connection between LCCs and CDIs at the local level.
- Promote regional approach to support Community work.
- Provide guidance to LCCs in their role as grant makers and as grantees of the Mass Cultural Council including guidelines, procedural, and reporting requirements.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the program officers will have the opportunity to develop several areas of focus or expertise over time.
- Represent Mass Cultural Council in a wide range of public settings, meetings,events, conferences, etc.
- Contribute to and play an active role in agency wide activities and initiatives
Please consider applying if…
You have at least three to five years of relevant work experience. Relevant experience can include work in areas such as:
- Municipal government
- Cultural organizations
- Arts administration
- Community development
- Community organizing
- Constituent Services
- Grant making
You have worked in and with communities to effect change.
You are willing to work occasional nights and weekends, knowing that the agency is committed to maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
You have a driver’s license and enjoy traveling regularly in-state (you don't have to own a car).Required Skills
- We are looking for someone that…
- Works well as part of a team.
- Can successfully build relationships with and between a wide variety of constituents.
- Provides excellent customer or constituent support.
- Has excellent writing and communication skills.
- Has an aptitude and interest in capturing stories in visual and written formats.
- Is proficient in Microsoft Word/Excel/Access.? Can effectively use social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) in a professional context.
- Has strong administrative, organizational, and time management skills.
- Manages details well under pressure.
How To Apply:
Applicants should provide:
- A letter of interest
- A résume
Email materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject line “Community Program Officer Search”.Please attach letter of interest and resume as one Word or PDF document. Do not send materials as text within an email. You may address your letter of interest to “Community Program Officer Search Committee”.
February 12, 2019
Union position. Grade 10 Step 4 (currently $56,902.30). Excellent benefits.
About this Organization:
The Mass Cultural Council is a state agency that promotes
excellence, inclusion, education, and diversity in the arts, humanities, and
sciences to foster a rich cultural life for all Massachusetts residents and
contributes to the vitality of our communities and economy.
The Council pursues this mission through a wide range of
grants, initiatives, and advocacy for artists, communities, organizations, and
We believe in the power of culture. Working through the arts,
humanities, and sciences, culture is a dynamic force for enriching communities,
growing the economy, increasing accessibility, and fostering individual
creativity. Culture is intrinsically valuable and unique in its ability to lift
the human spirit.
We recognize the essential role that a rich cultural life
plays in communities and the lives of individuals. To invest in our cultural
life is to invest in our shared future.
We partner with artists, communities, organizations, and
schools to unleash the power of culture across the Commonwealth.