This position supports on and off-campus operations, reporting directly to the Director of Operations and Residential Life. This
position also works closely with the Facilities Superintendent to address facility issues on campus. Off-campus Faculty & Staff Housing
Emergency Procedures Oversight
- Assists communications with homeowners and faculty/staff during move-ins and move-outs. Coordinates inspections,
maintains key inventories, and documents any disturbances. Assists Program Manager and Stage Crew Manager with
pianos moving to rented space (does not require physically moving instruments).
- Responsible for managing BUTI guest spaces and the corresponding calendar; communicates with incoming guests as
necessary. Arranges cleanings between guests to ensure the suitability of spaces for incoming guests.
- Ensures all emergency plans are up-to-date and are at or above BU standards
- Trains Student Life Staff on emergency responses
- Coordinates text alert system recipients and tests the system as appropriate
- Coordinates fire drills
Support of Student Life Team
- Assists hiring of overnight security staff and directly oversees security assistants
- Conducts orientation for security staff, including all emergency responses and regular procedures
- Arranges security staff schedules, and reviews logs; provides weekly synopsis to Business and Operations Manager
- Assists training and development of Resident Assistants, including facility orientations and emergency procedures
- Ensures equipment is properly functioning, including phone and radio devices
- Creates emergency contact cards for program administrators
- Conducts survey of students at the end of all programs to assess quality of living
Responsibilities include attending weekly staff meetings, representing West Street Campus at BUTI events, and developing positive
relationships within the BUTI and Lenox communities. Additional tasks may arise as the needs of the program dictate. A pro-active
attitude and willingness to take initiative are necessary. The AMO is expected to maintain and communicate transparent office
hours. Candidates must hold a valid driver’s license.
Prior to the May-August timeframe, the Assistant Manager of Operations is responsible for becoming familiar with procedures and
the responsibilities of other Student Life Staff team members.
Completion of an undergraduate degree preferred. Experience with a residential life environment is essential. Time management
skills are necessary for success. Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database software applications is
Must have the ability to stay organized in a busy and multi-faceted camp-style environment. Professional communication skills are
necessary. Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license is necessary for this position.
All positions are enjoyable and educational but demanding in terms of the required time and energy a successful candidate must
commit. The positions are live-in (summer only), and the hours staff members work are often dictated by the necessities of the
student community rather than by convenience.
Compensation includes weekly salary, living accommodations, daily breakfast/brunch, lunch and dinner, local telephone service,
and a Tanglewood grounds pass. The period of employment for this position is from approximately Tuesday, May 29, 2019 through
Wednesday, August 14, 2019. After the students arrive on June 16, staff members receive one day off each week. They will also
receive one additional day off during two weeks.
How To Apply:
Apply online for this and other summer positions at www.bu.edu/cfa/tanglewood/employment
. A cover letter
outlining your interest and qualifications along with a work resume are required.
January 26, 2019
Salary, Housing, Weekday Lunch, Tanglewood Lawn Pass
About this Organization:
Boston University Tanglewood Institute (BUTI) is recognized internationally as one of the premier summer training programs for aspiring high school-age musicians and is the only program of its kind associated with one of the world's great symphony orchestras. Under the guidance of distinguished professionals and in the presence of
the Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO), young people devote themselves to a
summer of extraordinary music making.
All BUTI programs share a common element: excellence. BUTI offers programs for all
orchestral instruments, voice, piano, and composition, ranging in
duration from two to six weeks. Depending on your area of study, you may
be eligible for more than one program, and students may apply for more
than one program with the same audition. Included with all BUTI programs is unparalleled access to all BSO and Tanglewood Music Center concerts, as many as 15 events per week.
BUTI is a magical blend of the formal and informal, of joy and hard work. No one who spends a summer at Tanglewood leaves untouched by the experience.