Security Officer (part-time)
The Boston Athenæum seeks an experienced part-time Security Officer to join the Security team. Reporting to the Director of Safety and Security, the Security Officer ensure the safety and protection of the Athenaeum’s collections, assets, employees, and patrons while utilizing the highest standards of customer service. The Security Officer also provides a professional lobby presence at the main entrance to the Boston Athenaeum and on all floors during patrols. In addition, the Security Officer conducts foot patrols (interior/exterior) controls access and egress, monitors CCTV and alarm systems, composes reports, deters criminal activity, misconduct, and performs other duties as specified in the post orders.
This role is part-time with an hourly rate of $16.75 and will require a regular weekly schedule (see below) with the ability to fill in when necessary.
Part-Time, 24 hours/week schedule: Monday–Thursday 4:00 PM–8:00 PM and Saturday 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM.
- Patrol each floor of the facility to monitor and assure all patron’s and visitor’s activities are in accordance with rules, regulations and, policies.
- Monitor all areas of the building to ensure all collections, assets, and patrons are respected, safe and protected from all nature of threats.
- Observe and report any irregular or unusual activity that may create security risks or safety concerns and conduct bag checks in accordance with policy.
- Sound alarms or notify police or fire department in case of fire or emergency situations.
- Must be at least 21 years or older.
- Submit to and pass a background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment verifications and Registry of Motor Vehicles (if applicable).
- High school diploma (Bachelor’s degree preferred).
- Excellent customer service and employee relations skills.
- At least two years of experience in building and security (preferably libraries/museum).
- Ability to communicate effectively both oral and in written communications.
- Excellent attention to detail, multi-tasker and flexibility with scheduling when necessary.
- Experience with security software/ access control systems, life safety practices, CCTV and
- Must be computer savvy, G-Suite office applications, and programs.
- Commitment to fostering a workplace culture of teamwork, diversity, and inclusion.
How To Apply:
Please send a cover letter and a resume that includes current availability, to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Boston Athenæum is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individuals of diverse backgrounds to apply and are committed to hiring individuals who value a diverse and inclusive work environment. Retirees encouraged to apply.
March 15, 2019
About this Organization:
Founded in 1807 as “a fountain, at which all, who choose, may
gratify their thirst for knowledge,” the Boston Athenæum has evolved into a
beloved subscription library, specializing in history, biography, literature,
and art. 5,000 Households maintain active memberships in the Athenæum, and
enjoy a range of services from individualized reference assistance to superb
children’s programming, from discussion groups to curated selections of digital
and print resources. Tourists and scholars from around the world consult the
quarter-million rare items in the collection, which includes George
Washington’s personal library; an important collection of early American
portraits; rich holdings related to the Civil War and documenting New England’s
built environment; and the Athenæum’s own historical archives, attesting to the
institution’s role in American arts and letters. Each year, the Athenæum offers
hundreds of cultural programs— including lectures, concerts, performances,
exhibitions, and tastings—within its exquisite National Historic Landmark
structure, widely regarded as one of the most beautiful libraries in the world.