The Philanthropy Manager is a key partner in the development and
implementation of WAM Theatre’s strategic plan. A member of the four person
leadership team, the Philanthropy Manager reports to the Artistic Director and
does as much hands on, detailed day-to-day work as big picture thinking around
WAM’s Culture of Philanthropy. The Philanthropy Manager oversees WAM’s division
of philanthropy, overseeing matters relating to development and special events
as pertaining to WAM’s unique mission.
Part-Time, Year Round, Not Benefits Eligible. No benefits or insurance
All regular withholdings apply.
Minimum 4 days a week in the office in Lenox, MA
(Monday-Thursday 10am-4pm), evenings and weekends around events and productions, ability to do some work
remotely. Approximately 130 hours/month.
ABOUT WAM THEATRE
Based in Berkshire County, Massachusetts, WAM Theatre is
celebrating its 10th anniversary of being a place Where Arts and Activism Meet.
The company was co-founded in 2010 by Canadian director, actor, educator, and
producer Kristen van Ginhoven. WAM’s vision is to create opportunity for women
and girls through the mission of theatre as philanthropy.
Inspired by the book Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into
Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, WAM
donates a portion of the proceeds from its theatrical events to organizations
that benefit women and girls.
Since 2010, WAM Theatre has provided paid work to more than 200
theatre artists and donated more than $56,500 to fifteen local and global
organizations taking action for women and girls in areas such as girls
education, teen pregnancy prevention, sexual trafficking awareness, midwife
training and more. In addition to the main stage productions and special
events, WAM Theatre’s activities include a comprehensive educational outreach
program and the Fresh Takes Play Reading Series. For more information, visit
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants
need not have experience in all areas or all competencies to apply. If WAM’s
mission inspires and this position interests you and fits with your career
goals and aspirations, please apply.
- Engage, steward and cultivate Individual Donor,
Corporate Sponsor, Foundation and Grant relationships.
- Develop organized systems for WAM’s Development
outreach and ensure all systems/data are up to date.
- Complete foundation and grant applications and
- Oversee the creation of a yearly annual report,
bi-yearly direct mail appeals and an online Giving Tuesday campaign.
- Stewarding the WAM team, volunteers and Board around
fundraising strategies and programs.
- Research, identify and secure new funding
- Active member of the Strategic Planning and
- Actively engage Board members in implementation of
- Oversee special events planning with the WAM team and
volunteer committees, including an annual gala (organized in partnership
with an external Events Planner) and other fundraising, development and
outreach efforts; which include a yearly donor and volunteer
- Engage and oversee volunteers for special events
- Work directly with the Artistic Director to build
WAM’s Culture of Philanthropy, which includes the creation of a yearly
fundraising plan and quarterly donor email updates that ensures everyone
in the WAMily feels seen, heard and valued.
- Serve as an advocate and spokesperson for WAM Theatre
and it’s unique mission of philanthropy through theatre on email, social
media and e-blasts and in person at events, conferences, meetings, etc, in
the Berkshire and beyond.
- Be present at performances to engage with the WAMily
- Partner with Marketing & PR Associate on WAM’s
social media presence
- Serves as on-site back-up to the Artistic Director
- Interfacing with box office staff to organize
- Communicate with production beneficiaries
- Oversee creation of playbills
- Adhere to the WAM Theatre mission and values
- Abide by agreed upon WAM policies and procedures
- Meet all deadlines as assigned
- Be available for meetings (board, team and check ins)
and events as appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
to the responsibilities above, the Philanthropy Manager will be expected to
communicate with the Artistic Director regularly and frequently, on email and
in person, attend Board meetings and volunteer committee meetings as
applicable, update the Board monthly, and help supervise Interns and
- Passionate about women’s issues, social justice and
arts as activism
- Incredibly detail-oriented, highly
organized, and able to work autonomously.
- Ability to stay calm and organized while coordinating
a wide variety of activities and people
- Possesses excellent time management and communication
skills (oral and written)
- Proactively ensures that all information remains
organized, up to date and all deadlines are met.
- Familiarity and experience with the Berkshires and
surrounding theatre community and/or not-for-profit arts community;
- A leader who can represent WAM at
events, comfortable with public speaking and networking.
- Socially and emotionally
- Fundraising Experience; including knowledge of
granting bodies, foundations and corporate and individual donor
- Demonstrated event management, and supervisory
- Experience using Donor Software systems and a quick learner
on new systems. WAM currently uses Bloomerang.
- Experience preparing budgets and writing grants.
- Some understanding of the operation
of a non profit organization; including experience with boards and
- Comfort with Technology. Ease
with computers and internet. Works easily with email. WAM currently uses
- Instinctive ability to track
deadlines and disparate details.
- Bachelor of Arts or Masters in Arts Administration or
- Experience in the professional performing arts;
preferably development and communications.
How To Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Dori Parkman, General
Manager, email@example.com with Philanthropy Manager in the subject
Interviews will begin the week of March 1. Applications are
rolling. Position begins as soon as a candidate who fits WAM’s needs and aligns
with the WAM team is identified.
WAM Theatre is committed to creating, maintaining
and learning about a diverse and inclusive working space and is proud to be an
equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion,
creed, national origin including ancestry, ethnicity, sex including pregnancy,
gender, gender identity, gender expression, and transgender status, gender,
disability, alienage or citizenship status, military status, including past,
current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information,
predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim
status, familial status, actual or perceived sexual orientation.
March 15, 2019
About this Organization:
WAM Theatre creates theatre for everyone that benefits women and girls.