Public Programs Assistant
The Harvard Museums of Science and Culture (HMSC) is a partnership
of public museums in Harvard's Faculty of Arts and Sciences that
includes the Harvard Museum of Natural History, the Semitic Museum, the
Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments and the Peabody Museum
of Archaeology and Ethnology.
to the HMSC Director of Public Programs, the Public Programs Assistant
is responsible for helping to coordinate all facets of the public
programs sponsored by the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture
(40-50 programs and special events/year). These programs include
lectures, panel discussions, book signings, receptions, and other
special programs. Responsibilities include providing administrative and
financial support for the program series, coordinating program logistics
and staffing, working with the HMSC marketing team on basic outreach
activities, and conducting other administrative tasks as assigned by the
Director of Public Programs.
- Coordinates program logistics needs pertaining to venues, parking, media services, catering and staffing
- Staffs programs and sets-up venues and receptions
- Handles phone and email inquiries from faculty, guest speakers, staff, students, vendors and the general public
- Handles event and office purchasing, processes invoices and reimbursements, and tracks program expenses
- Arranges travel and lodging for external speakers
- Manages inventory of office including program and reception supplies
- Supports logistical needs of online livestreams and videos
- Works with HMSC marketing team to request, review and distribute promotional materials
- Conducts basic research on speakers and program topics as directed
- Minimum one year of administrative support experience required
- College degree in museum studies, biology, anthropology,
archaeology, or other content areas related to the HMSC museums
- Prior experience in an academic setting or museum preferred; prior
experience in a program, administrative, or financial assistant position
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Outstanding organizational skills
- High standards of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and maintain positive, helpful attitude
- Comfort and interest in financial and administrative activities
- Occasional heavy lifting is required - candidates must be able to lift 30 lbs.
flexibility is required. Candidates must be available to assist with
programs, many of which take place in the evening and weekends.
A Cover Letter is required to be considered for the position.
March 15, 2019
About this Organization:
The mission of the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture (HMSC) is to foster curiosity and a spirit of discovery in visitors of all ages, enhancing public understanding of and appreciation for the natural world, science, and human cultures. HMSC works in concert with Harvard faculty, museum curators, and students, as well as with members of the extended Harvard community to provide interdisciplinary exhibitions, events and lectures, and educational programs for students, teachers, and the general public. HMSC will draw primarily upon the extensive collections of the member museums and upon the research of their faculty and curators.
The Harvard Museums of Science & Culture (HMSC) partnership was established on July 1, 2012 by the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Michael D. Smith, to develop a strong, coordinated public face for the six museums that are within the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard: