MASS MoCA is seeking an experienced, energetic, detailed-oriented museum educator to join its collaborative working environment. The Education Coordinator is supervised by the Director of Education + Curator of Kidspace and will primarily support the coordination of education programs and Kidspace exhibition projects. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Scheduling: Schedule all guided groups and oversee the Ed Dept program schedule (including guided group tours, partnership tours, artist residencies, Art Assembly performances, teacher workshops, and community programming).
- Kidspace Exhibitions: assist Curator of Kidspace with exhibition details; coordinate artist schedules, travel, and housing; organize exhibition promotional information for Communications and Development departments; maintain cleanliness of gallery and off-site art installation.
- Evaluation: with K – 12 Education Manager, oversee evaluation project with Goodman Research Group; collate data; coordinate evaluation needs with teachers and students; maintain evaluation records; and plan evaluation of future programs.
- Grants: assist with grant administration including: oversight of project details and implementation to ensure grant compliance; grant reporting; future planning of grants.
- Documentation: Maintain group and program participant attendance records, mailing lists, and press clippings; manage Kidspace archives; coordinate program documentation and videos.
- Budgets: assist with managing complex annual department budget, as well as specific restricted grant budgets, and oversee weekly invoices and contractors’ time sheets; order supplies; write contracts for consultants/artists/overhires.
- Gallery Teaching: as with all Education Department staff, conduct tours as needed, but at least one tour per week.
This is a full-time entry-level position. The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in education, art administration, or art history, and at least 1 year of work experience is preferred. The candidate should be skilled as an effective communicator and have strong writing skills; can work independently, but also as a team player; has an outgoing, positive personality and a knack for connecting with people of many backgrounds.
February 15, 2019
About this Organization:
Since opening in 1999, MASS MoCA has become one of the world's premier centers for making and showing the best art of our time. With annual attendance of 120,000, it ranks among the most visited institutions in the United States dedicated to new art. More than 80 major new works of art and more than 50 performances have been created through fabrication and rehearsal residencies in North Adams, making MASS MoCA perhaps the most fertile site in the country for new art. The museum thrives on making and presenting work that is fresh, surprising, and challenging.
MASS MoCA exhibits work by many of the most important artists of today—both well known, and emerging—focusing on large-scale and complex installations that are impossible to realize in conventional museums. Our broad, soaring galleries with 110,000 square feet of open, flexible space and their robust industrial character have proven both inspiring and empowering to artists.
An essential and integral part of MASS MoCA's mission are the more than 75 performances staged year-round, including popular music, contemporary dance, alternative cabaret, world music dance parties, outdoor silent films with live music, documentaries, and avant-garde theater.