As a creative partner, the General Manager at Yellow Barn has an essential position at one of the most highly regarded chamber music centers in the world, a place that has great importance to the artistic life of the musicians that have been a part of it and to Yellow Barn audiences, both in Putney and across the country.
In addition to working collaboratively with the Executive Director and Artistic Director to advance Yellow Barn’s mission, the General Manager has an array of responsibilities that are critical to the daily operation of Yellow Barn programs: the core Yellow Barn Program and the Young Artists Program in the summer; year-round Artist Residencies in Putney; ongoing Yellow Barn Music Haul programs locally and nationally; and Music From Yellow Barn performances in major cities outside of Vermont.
The General Manager has the unique opportunity to join Yellow Barn in its 50thAnniversary year. As part of a leadership team, the GM will contribute directly to a successful capital campaign and the implementation of short- and long-term goals, including taking Yellow Barn Music Haul to scale and the establishment of an artists’ residence and center for music and social dialogue.
The ideal candidate will have the desire and ability to communicate personally and professionally with the local community, audiences from around the United States, and an international community of musicians. The General Manager will enjoy creative problem solving, take satisfaction in facilitating the best work of others, and excel in a fast-paced, varied work environment where every position is driven by a belief in Yellow Barn’s work and high production values.
In particular, the General Manager should have the following personal and professional qualifications:
- A passion for Yellow Barn’s mission, and an understanding of its purpose and potential
- 5 to 7 years of non-profit arts management experience
- Experience managing and working within a small team
- Demonstrated outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- An optimistic, flexible, and creative approach to problem solving
- A demonstrated track record of success with audience development and donor cultivation
- IT proficiency with MS Office and database management
Areas of Work
- Collaborative work with Yellow Barn’s directors to ensure Yellow Barn’s vitality through existing programs and new initiatives coming out of 50thAnniversary planning
- Implementation of the business plan for Yellow Barn Music Haul
- Support for the Artist Residencies program as it evolves into a residency center for music and social dialogue
Fundraising and Development
Stewardship of Yellow Barn’s audience and funding base, particularly during the summer festival, plus year-round management and cultivation of annual gifts from individuals, foundations, corporate and public sources
- Leadership of specific fundraising initiatives, including managing special events, researching target areas for Yellow Barn Music Haul, and developing new funding sources
- Support for institutional advancement, such as national grants, major donor cultivation, and work conducted by the Yellow Barn Trustees and special committees
Marketing and PR
Salary and Benefits
The General Manager receives the following compensation and benefits:
- Starting salary of $60,000 annually, with negotiated performance-based increases
- An additional $3,600 for health care annually
- Housing near Putney, when needed
- Meals on campus during summer programs
- 12 days of paid vacation, not including holidays when the office is closed (Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day)
How To Apply:
Yellow Barn aims to fill this position by March 1, 2019.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resumé by email to:
Catherine Stephan, Executive Director
About this Organization:
Yellow Barn, an international center for chamber music, encourages discovery in the studio, classroom, and concert hall; explores the craft of musical interpretation; and illuminates our world through the unique experience of music. Twice awarded the ASCAP/Chamber Music America Award for Adventurous Programming, Yellow Barn’s innovative approach to lifelong education for musicians and audiences, commitment to quality and a unique philosophy, and programs that focus listeners in new ways, set it apart from any other chamber music center in this country.
Based in Putney, Vermont with a national agenda and a growing international presence, Yellow Barn draws professional musicians from the United States, Europe, Middle East, and Asia. Since 1969, participants in Yellow Barn’s summer festival have explored music spanning a wide range of eras and genres alongside faculty members who are among the most highly regarded performers and pedagogues of our time. One of those faculty members spoke for the entire community when he said, “Yellow Barn is an artistic center of gravity for me.”
In addition, Yellow Barn has established the Young Artists Program for performers and composers ages 13-20, known for the collaborative creation and performance of 12 new works each session; the Artist Residencies, which is the first retreat program in the country for performing musicians at all stages of their careers; collaborations with “Yellow Barns” in other fields, notably a concert series at the Nasher Sculpture Center in Dallas, Texas that regularly hosts Music From Yellow Barn; and partnerships that transform typical business practices, including a relationship that far exceeds a typical rental agreement through shared space and curricular workshops at the Greenwood School for boys ages 12-18 with language-based learning differences.
Yellow Barn Music Haul is the broadest interpretation of Yellow Barn’s mission. The first self-contained traveling stage of its kind, Yellow Barn Music Haul redefines what a concert hall can be. It brings music to grammar schools and conservatories, urban neighborhoods and arts districts, city lots and open fields. It plays for people regardless of their experience with or knowledge of music, their attention captured in the unexpected moment. With Yellow Barn Music Haul we realize music’s fundamental purpose, and inherent ability, to communicate in ways that defy definition and move us without explanation.