KITCHEN Events Coordinator - Boston (year-round, part-time)
Summary of Position:
The KITCHEN at Boston Public Market is where Boston comes together to explore how seasonal cooking and eating benefits our bodies, community, and planet. Managed by The Trustees, one of the largest private owners of farmland and coastal property in Massachusetts, and partnered with Boston Public Market, The KITCHEN hosts tasting demos, hands-on classes and educational experiences that celebrate the season and promote healthy living in Massachusetts by connecting visitors to the farmers, artisans, lands, and waters of this region.
The KITCHEN Events Coordinator will support The KITCHEN mission by facilitating and executing high-quality events. In addition to event facilitation, this role supports The KITCHEN team in working with partners, coordinating volunteers, developing social media presence, and providing customer service to event attendees and partners.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for food and cooking, sustainable agriculture and local farming, plus will bring skills and experience related to excellent customer service, event planning and coordination, office administration, and marketing and social media. This position is highly independent and requires someone who is a self-starter. At least one year of work experience is necessary.
The KITCHEN Events Coordinator will execute events on a regular schedule within the KITCHEN’s days and times of operation (between 8:00 am-9:00 pm, seven days per week). The position is for between 20 and 35 hours per week, depending on the week and candidate’s availability. Start date is as soon as possible.
- Execution of in-house culinary programming to the standards of The Trustees and The Boston Public Market.
- Assisting guest chefs or programming partners with execution of programs in The KITCHEN
- Execution of catering and private events to the standards of The Trustees and The Boston Public Market.
- Training and managing volunteer staff and culinary interns in collaboration with The Trustees Boston Volunteer Coordinator.
- Managing hired culinary or service staff at The KITCHEN
- Maintaining high standards of sanitation and safety in both the back and front of the house kitchens
- Supporting The KITCHEN’s Director, Engagement Manager, and Operations Manager as needed
- Upholding high standards of customer service, including greeting every customer, educating them about The KITCHEN and The Trustees and helping them in a friendly manner.
- Managing the POS system including event tickets and sales.
- Performing opening and closing duties.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree
- Food Safety Certification (Servsafe) or willingness to obtain certification, if needed
- Willingness to obtain TIPS certification, if needed
- Background check required
- Flexible work schedule, at least one weekend day and/or weekend evening required
- Able to work well with people in a team environment, and to communicate effectively both written and orally
- Able to function and act independently
Benefits and Salary:
This is a part-time, non-exempt position.
The Trustees offers competitive compensation and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
About The Organization:
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 25,000+ acres on 117 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 60,000 member households.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
We kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
How To Apply:
Please apply online via The Trustees' website linked here
January 11, 2019
About this Organization:
The Trustees of Reservations is one of Massachusetts’ largest non-profits and the nation’s first conservation and preservation organization. We preserve and protect places of natural, scenic and historic beauty and hold these “reservations” in “trust” for public use and enjoyment. Our passion is to improve the quality of life in the Commonwealth, using our properties and their many programs as a powerful and compelling platform to engage more residents and visitors in our mission-driven work. We believe in protecting the irreplaceable forever, for everyone. Today, we care for 117 special reservations -- from beaches to farms, gardens and historic sites – within minutes of every resident. Funded and supported entirely by our nearly 2 million visitors and supporters, and more than 60,000 member households, we invite you to find your place.