Williams College Museum of Art
The Williams College Museum of Art (WCMA) makes dynamic art
experiences to incite new thinking about art, museums, and the
world—and it does so from within the nation's top-ranked
liberal arts college. A vibrant center for the arts at Williams,
the Museum embodies the liberal arts' ability to catalyze both
creative and critical thinking.
WCMA seeks a highly motivated, organized, and intellectually
curious, full-time (40 hours per week) Curatorial Assistant.
Reporting to the senior curators, the Curatorial Assistant will
support all activities of the curatorial department including
exhibitions, collections and museum-based courses. This position
works with the full range of art represented in the museum
collection and exhibition program, across media, geography, and
Williams is committed to enriching its educational experience and
its culture through the diversity of its staff. The successful
candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly
diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status,
gender, nationality, sexual orientation and religion. Applicants
should highlight in their letter relevant experience working with
and supporting a broadly diverse employee community.
- Provides research assistance and general support to curators
- Assists with planning, research, and execution of exhibitions
and related publications and programs;
- Working closely with curators, registrars, development, and the
director, prepares and tracks internal acquisitions process; drafts
agendas; researches incoming objects; secures images;
researches/drafts/edits justifications; drafts text and updates new
acquisitions on the website;
- Fields inquiries about the museum collection, manages and
tracks external exhibition proposals and artist inquiries,
conferring with curators as needed;
- Works closely with curators and collection management staff to
address collection care needs; oversees collection care projects as
- With registrars and curators, manages loans of art to campus
- Researches the collection on an ongoing basis, and as needed
for exhibitions, programs, and loans, and maintains, updates and
refines curatorial files; and
- Working with exhibition curators drafts interpretive text for
galleries and publications.
- Master's degree in art history or related field is
- Minimum of two years' experience in a museum curatorial
department is preferred
- Attention to detail, time management, and project management
skills are required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are
- Sensitivity to objects of art and their careful handling is
- Advanced computer skills and experience with relational
databases, specifically with The Museum System (TMS) is highly
This is a full time, year-round, regular appointment.
Review of applications will begin on January 4, 2019, and continue
until the position is filled.
Employment at Williams is contingent on the verification of
background information submitted by the applicant, including the
completion of a criminal record check, and education when
To apply for this position, please visit http://staff-careers.williams.edu. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us
via phone at (413) 597-4247 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination,
Williams College is committed to building a diverse and inclusive
community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn and
How To Apply:
December 05, 2018
About this Organization:
Williams is a coeducational liberal arts institution located in the Berkshire Hills of western Massachusetts with access to the culturally rich cities of Albany, Boston, and New York City. The College is committed to building and supporting a diverse population of approximately 2,000 students, and to fostering an inclusive faculty, staff and curriculum. Williams has built its reputation on outstanding teaching and scholarship and on the academic excellence of its students.