Working under the supervision of the Business Manager, the Unit Manager processes financial and administrative transactions for the NOVA Science Unit. As a member of the business team, the Unit Manager has primary responsibility for the department’s day-to-day accounting activities, including processing purchase requisitions and department invoices, tracking budgets, contracts management, and facilitating physical space and other operational needs. In addition, the Unit Manager is responsible for supporting the unit’s employees with timesheets and expense support submissions, petty cash needs, IT support, and Workday system support as needed.
Candidates for this position must have a B.A. and at least two years of experience in financial management and administration. Experience with budget management and accounting is strongly preferred.
Candidates should have excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, coupled with a proven ability to work independently with attention to detail. S/he must be able to set priorities and work efficiently under pressure.
Candidates must be proficient users of Excel and Word. Experience with production accounting, Workday, and Filemaker a significant plus. Demonstrated strong communication skills and the ability to work in a collaborative manner with an aptitude for
40% Manage all department accounting activities
• Process all Account Payable invoices for payment through Workday via creating
• Serve as liaison to the Accounting department regarding departmental financial paperwork.
• Create standard payroll transmittals, expense reports, and RFPs.
• Ensure that financial paperwork is completed in accordance with Accounting policy guidelines.
• Use web-based system called ICON for worker classification service to identify Independent Contractor status for suppliers.
30% Act as primary contact for department/project administrative needs.
• Manage the successful on-boarding of new employees, including space and equipment setup, department orientation, and initial introductions.
• Serve as department liaison to service groups across the Foundation, such as HR, Accounting, Budget, Legal, Design, etc., and operate according to policy guidelines.
• Collaborate with Business Manager to streamline processes to maximize efficiency.
• Serve as IT contact: provide support for any IT needs; escalate issues to the IT department for resolution.
• Serve as Workday contact: provide support for any Workday needs; escalate issues
to foundation Workday support team.
15% Assist with contract management.
• Assist in contract creation process including uploading contracts into database .
• Monitor compliance with terms of agreements.
• Process payments in accordance with contract guidelines and restrictions.
• Ensure compliance with WGBH union contracts.
• Assist Business Manager to coordinate contracting and hiring with Talent Relations for internal and independent productions.
10% Assist in planning, preparing, and revising department/project budgets.
• Track and review expenses on an as needed basis for department as assigned.
• Manage deliverables to accounting department for Massachusetts Film Tax Credit.
• Compile information and support the business unit in the preparation of budget and financial reports.
• Participate in budget planning meetings
5% Perform other duties as assigned