05-Jun-2018Public Relations Specialist
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
45685BRDuties & ResponsibilitiesPosition Summary
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing, the Public Relations Specialist is part of a communications team that supports the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture (HMSC). This team is responsible for building, maintaining and managing HMSC's reputation through strategic public relations and marketing plans that will leverage exhibits, programs, and activities to build visibility, visitation, and support for the museums. The Director of Communications and Marketing is responsible for developing the public relations strategy, with collective input from the HMSC Executive Director and the HMSC Marketing team, including the Public Relations Specialist who will execute on all aspects of the defined PR strategy.Duties and Responsibilities
- Establishes and maintains media relations with local, national, and international print, digital, and broadcast media.
- Proactively pitches to staff journalists and works with contract writers to secure museum coverage in print, online, and through social media channels.
- Researches, creates, and coordinates print media, digital media, and broadcast media opportunities for museum exhibitions, public events, and educational programs; working closely with other colleagues.
- Coordinates promotional opportunities such as press visits, press events, interviews, photo ops, advertisements, and social media influencer opportunities.
- Composes press materials such as press releases, fact sheets, image sheets, media alerts, and invitations.
- Generates press coverage reports and collects press quotes to be leveraged in marketing efforts.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with tourist organizations, merchants, corporations, media outlets, university departments, and more.
- Ensures accurate HMSC listings in guidebooks and online for HMSC exhibitions and programs.
- Serves as liaison to Convention and Visitors Bureaus and the community at large to encourage museum representation, visitation, and involvement in museum activities.
- Provide input and execute on public relations strategies including online and social approaches.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
A minimum 2 years of related experience in marketing and public relations. College degree in Communications, Public Relations, English, Journalism, or an equivalent of education plus experience.Additional Qualifications
Experience working with media/journalists. A proven record of securing media coverage. Experience with current and emerging social media platforms. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Excellent organizational skills with particular ability to prioritize work in an environment with multiple and conflicting interests. Strong writing and editing skills. Proven project and/or program management skills. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Competency using a variety of computer software including Filemaker, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office, and Apple iOS. Previous experience working in an arts and culture organization or public relations agency is a plus. Fluency in additional language(s) a plus.Additional Information
The Harvard Museums of Science and Culture is a partnership of public museums that includes the Harvard Museum of Natural History, Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology, the Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments, and the Harvard Semitic Museum.
All formal written offers will be made by FAS Human Resources.Job Function
Communications, MuseumSub Unit
USA - MA - CambridgeDepartment
Harvard Museums of Science & CultureTime Status
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech WorkersSalary Grade
35 hours/week, Monday - Friday
Additional hours may be required for special activities or events.EEO Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/d4wj7rs2r4377ydh
About this Organization:
The Harvard Art Museums — the Fogg Museum, Busch Reisinger
Museum, and Arthur M. Sackler Museum — are dedicated to advancing and
supporting learning at Harvard University, in the local community, and around
the world. The museums have played a leading role in the development of art
history, conservation, and conservation science, and in the evolution of the
art museum as an institution. Through research, teaching, professional
training, and public education, the museums strive to advance the understanding
and appreciation of art. Programs encourage close looking at original works of
art, collaboration with campus and community partners, and the production of
new scholarship. For more information, please visit our website at harvardartmuseums.org.