The Emilson YMCA’s Arts & Education Department at Laura’s Center for the Arts seeks experienced, engaging, and dynamic dance instructors to join their team for the 2018 – 2019 season.
Bring Your Passion To Our Mission!
1. PROGRAM EXECUTION
- Requires prior experience as a dancer and teacher.
- Demonstrated experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent leadership skills including an ability to lead a respectful and safe studio, support, engage and motivate students of all ages and abilities.
- Flexibility to meet changing needs and priorities as they occur.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check.
2. MEMBERSHIP ENGAGEMENT & DEVELOPMENT
- Represent the YMCA in a friendly, professional and engaging manner.
- Engage with members and community members to build strong, safe, supportive relationships and community environment.
- Educate members and community members of all policies and procedures of the YMCA and the Arts & Education Department.
- Respond to inquiries and resolve problems. If unable to resolve, connect to the proper person to resolve the concern or inquiry.
- Present a professional manner through a neat and clean appearance with proper attire as outlined in the membership dress code policy.
3. FACILITY MANAGEMENT
- Maintain a clean and organized classroom space. Record and report any faulty equipment and /or lapse of maintenance to the proper people.
4. VOLUNTEER DEVELOPMENT
- Builds and develops volunteer capacity, sharing the social responsibility.
5. COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT & SUPPORT
- Assist in YMCA fundraising activities/events, and engage in collaborative relationships with community organizations in order to strengthen support and build community.
YMCA COMPETENCIES - LEADER
Mission and Community Oriented
- Accepts and demonstrates YMCA values.
- Work effectively with people of all backgrounds and levels.
- Willingness to serve and fulfill community needs.
- Recruit volunteers and build supportive relationships with them.
- Remains calm in challenging situations and seeks to understand the underlying cause.
- Speaks and writes effectively.
- Develops rapport, relates well and takes initiative to assist in developing others.
- Discovers ideas to create and deliver a high-value member experience.
- Makes sound judgments, establishes goals, supports fundraising, and adheres to budgeting procedures
- Recognizes personal strengths and limitations, pursues selfdevelopment and demonstrates flexibility.
Candidates must have previous performance experience and teaching foundation in one or more of the following disciplines but not limited to: hip hop, Latin dance, ballet (introductory through pointe), jazz, tap, lyrical, breakdancing, musical theatre, belly dancing, and ballroom. Candidates will be considered for course instruction (youth through adult), substitution support, and choreography for musical theatre productions.
Qualified candidates will be required to teach a course with original choreography as part of the interview process. Attendance must be reliable and consistent. Ability to teach students of various ages and abilities in preparation for end of season recital. Technical strength in dance and classroom management is required.
- Diversified performance, teaching, and educational experience and knowledge of various dance disciplines and technique.
- Strong teaching and communication skills, to make classes interesting for participants and encourages them to participate.
- The ability to develop positive, effective working relationships with staff and supervisors
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; walk and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
How To Apply:
January 03, 2019
About this Organization:
The South Shore YMCA is a supportive community that helps you become a better version of yourself – spirit, mind and body.
The YMCA is a not-for-profit association dedicated to improving the quality of life for all through programs that support youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Rooted in Christian tradition and values, the YMCA seeks to serve all people, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, or economic circumstances – so that we all truly belong.
The South Shore YMCA has branches in Hanover, Norwell, North Quincy, and Quincy.