Engagement Site Manager - Powisset Farm (year-round, full-time)
The Powisset Farm Engagement Manager is a full time exempt (salaried) position based at Powisset Farm in Dover, MA. The position is responsible for creating, designing, planning, managing the execution and measuring the success of events, programs, and visitor experiences supporting the goal of growing Powisset into a flagship educational farm property. The Engagement Manager is a key member of a cross functional team reporting to the General Manager and leads efforts to grow the farm’s audience of children, families and community members in support of the Trustees strategic plan to elevate the organization’s agricultural resources.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in event and volunteer management with experience in program development, budget management, marketing and public relations. The Engagement Manager must possess an outgoing, vibrant, engaging personality, be recognized for exceptional organizational, planning, verbal and written communication skills, be cool under pressure, have a polished, sophisticated demeanor and creative flair. A love and understanding of great hospitality, food/dining, current entertaining, recreation and social trends, combined with an interest in adult, family and children’s education and the ability to connect with visitors of all ages, personalities and interests is key to success. In addition to the General Manager, the Engagement Manager works closely with the Charles River Valley Stewardship Manager, Powisset CSA Manager/Lead Farmer, Volunteer Coordinator, Statewide Director of Public Programs, Statewide Director of Visitor Experience, other statewide colleagues in membership, development, finance and marketing and the Charles River Valley regional team.
1.Create, Develop, Plan, Market and Manage Implementation of Year-Round Public Programming
- Develop a creative, exciting annual plan of programming for families, children and individuals, including multi-generational cooking classes, children’s classes, vacation programs, family festivals, special events and holiday-themed programs.
- Design programming to reach target audiences and achieve participation goals.
- Market programs to generate attendance using local publicity, signage, social media, promotions and other traditional and digital communications outreach vehicles. Work closely with statewide marketing team to implement local marketing in the context of the statewide strategies, campaigns and channels.
- Provide on-site support of events through staff and volunteer management, post-event evaluation including metrics analysis and reporting.
- Deliver flawless implementation, whether managing a program individually, or in collaboration with volunteers and event staff.
- Recruit and develop relationships/partnerships with outside service providers including: instructors, chefs, caterers, musicians, educators, etc.
- Develop relationships with community and statewide organizations, to increase visitation and program participation. Examples: COA, PTO, Garden Clubs, Schools, Parks and Recreation, MA Department of Travel & Tourism, etc.
- Manage budget expenses and revenue to insure profitability of programming and private rentals; achieve established financial goals.
- Manage, schedule and recruit (as necessary) event assistants for program execution.
- Schedule and manage Powisset Barnyard including staffing, program content and liaising with livestock staff.
- Function as a creative, entrepreneurial business partner with the General Manager and agriculture team.
- Other duties as assigned.
2. Enhance Visitor Experience and Membership Sales
- Provide welcoming hospitality and outstanding customer service to visitors.
- Train volunteers and event staff in customer service and membership sales.
- Secure private rentals for special events.
- Develop and implement self-guided experiences and activities for visitors.
- Insure all details of the visit are exceptional, including cleanliness, safety, visual appeal, availability of information and resources for customer questions or inquiries.
- Share a sense of pride of the property; instill similar pride in staff members and volunteers.
The ideal candidate will have energy, enthusiasm, and be dedicated to providing every visitor a remarkable experience at Powisset Farm, and within the Trustees Charles River management unit.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in visitor engagement, public programming, hospitality, continuing education, public relations and/or event marketing, with a focus on exceptional customer service.
- Minimum of three years as a manager or supervisor of staff, including recruiting, hiring, training and mentoring employees.
- Track record of conceptualizing, developing and managing creative program and events.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple deadlines, and deliver high quality projects, programs and/or events on time and within budget.
- Exceptional organization skills.
- Excellent communication skills -- both written and verbal -- including comfort level speaking in front of groups and delivering presentations.
- Budget management skills including developing event budgets and the ability to project, manage and analyze income and expenses.
- Proven experience using social media and digital platforms to drive interest, participation and event attendance.
- Strong relationship management skills, including the ability to work in a matrix organization, manage varied constituencies and collaborate across multiple geographies.
- Enthusiastic approach to creative problem solving.
- Ability to work both independently on projects and collaboratively with staff members.
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, basic graphic design. Technically savvy and willingness to learn new software systems.
- Supportive of a collegial, respectful, inclusive work environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
- Valid driver’s license, and satisfactory driving record.
- Willing to travel within Massachusetts using a personal vehicle.
- Work weekends, evenings and holidays as required, attending all signature events.
- Able to lift 40lbs independently and spend periods of time standing during events.
Benefits & Salary:
The Trustees offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, vacation, sick and personal time, as well as the option to participate in our 401(k) plan. We also offer the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, food and farming, and the distinctive history of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
About The Trustees of Reservations:
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 117 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 60,000 member households.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts, who are at the core of our mission.
About Powisset Farm
Powisset Farm is part of the Trustees Charles River Valley management unit and came to The Trustees from the estate of Amelia Peabody in 1985. The farm’s 109 acres adjoins 2,000+ acres of open space to its north and east, making it an important component of a greater open space network in the Charles River Valley region. The farm is actively involved in public programming and engagement of children, families and the community. The main barn houses a teaching kitchen and classroom space, and a seasonal Saturday café. Engagement activities include a robust schedule of cooking classes for all abilities and age groups, farm dinners, children’s programs, festivals and much more. An educational barnyard was added in the summer of 2018, hosting area families and children, who participate in hands-on activities with the animals. The farm is regularly used for private events including children’s birthday parties, private cooking classes, dinners and weddings. Powisset currently hosts more than 5,000 program participants annually, and 60,000 visitors, all of whom enjoy the various aspects of the farm. The farm grows vegetables and flowers for a CSA with over 250 shareholders and a seasonal farm stand. A small- scale pig operation, a hen house for egg production and beef production through participation in the Trustees rotational grazing program also take place at Powisset. The Trustees Mobile Market, which provides fresh vegetables for inner city residents, is also based at Powisset Farm.
We kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
How To Apply:
Please apply online at The Trustees' website here
October 05, 2018
About this Organization:
The Trustees of Reservations is one of Massachusetts’ largest non-profits and the nation’s first conservation and preservation organization. We preserve and protect places of natural, scenic and historic beauty and hold these “reservations” in “trust” for public use and enjoyment. Our passion is to improve the quality of life in the Commonwealth, using our properties and their many programs as a powerful and compelling platform to engage more residents and visitors in our mission-driven work. We believe in protecting the irreplaceable forever, for everyone. Today, we care for 117 special reservations -- from beaches to farms, gardens and historic sites – within minutes of every resident. Funded and supported entirely by our nearly 2 million visitors and supporters, and more than 60,000 member households, we invite you to find your place.