Tour Guide - Education Associate
Do you love history? Do you love to tell others about history? If
so, The Bostonian Society is looking for you!
We need enthusiastic people to join our team of tour guides (EAs) and work directly with visitors at the Old State House, a Freedom Trail
Love to talk!
EAs will give up to five 20-minute tours during an 8-hour shift. (We
will teach you the content!)
Be a story teller!
EAs give tours on the history of our building and the Boston
Massacre. We make complex 18th-century history come alive for 21st-century
visitors from all over the world, and go beyond the simple storylines common in
Be customer service oriented!
EAs should be friendly, motivated, and committed
to providing outstanding customer service and education to all Old State House
Other duties include:
- Orienting visitors to the museum and answering
- Walking the galleries to monitor the
security of our building and collections
- Light daily exhibition maintenance
- Assisting the Education Department with scheduled
school groups and adult groups
- Assisting with special projects, including
research assistance and new tour development
- Assisting with public programs at the Old
State House, such as the annual Boston Massacre Commemoration in March
- Other duties as assigned by the Gallery
- Excellent public speaking skills; previous tour-giving experience
- An interest in history, education, museums or theater a plus.
- Experience in educational environments (formal or informal) desired.
- Ability to function physically in a multi-story historic
building with no elevator.
How To Apply:
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Application deadline Monday,
To apply, please send a resume and cover
letter that includes:
be available to work on Saturday and one weekday. (List which weekdays you are
date you are available to start.
Please e-mail resume and cover letter
Katie Drescher, Gallery Manager and
selected for interviews will be contacted.
No phone calls,
August 27, 2018
12.50 per hour
About this Organization:
The Bostonian Society’s mission is to study and preserve Boston’s uniquely important history, embodied in materials, records, and structures such as the Old State House, and to share an understanding of the revolutionary ideas born here. The Bostonian Society was founded in 1881 to rally support for saving the Old State House. Today we remain the stewards of the Old State House.