A gracious house with magnificent gardens, and panoramic views, Naumkeag is a quintessential country estate of the Gilded Age, but at its heart, this architectural masterpiece is a family home. Joseph Choate, a leading 19th-century attorney, hired the architectural firm of McKim, Mead, & White to design the 44-room “cottage,” Naumkeag, which would serve as a summer retreat for three generations of Choates.With its views of Monument Mountain, its stunning collection of gardens created by Joseph Choate, and its shingle-style house, Naumkeag creates an unforgettable experience for visitors. Bequeathed in its entirety in 1958 – from furniture to garden tools to its intact dairy barn – Naumkeag, a National Historic Landmark, provides a special link to Berkshires history.
Summary of Position:
Admissions/Sales Associates perform the essential function of welcoming all guests to Naumkeag. They inform guests of the various tours and programs available that day while helping to orient the guests to the property. They are crucial as ambassadors of The Trustees, introducing each guest to the many benefits of membership, with a focus on increasing membership sales for the site. Admission/Sales Associates also sell refreshments from The Oak Café to be consumed on site as well as other locally sourced food items. When not assigned to Admissions, Sales Associates sell merchandise from The Shop at Naumkeag.
- Welcome each guest to Naumkeag.
- Promote the mission of The Trustees by describing member benefits and selling memberships.
- Review the available tours/programs and provide excellent customer service in terms of history, tours, policies of the site, etc.
- Operate the POS system with facility in order to serve guests in a timely manner.
- Able to provide general product knowledge of items being sold in both enterprise zones: The Shop at Naumkeag and The Welcome Center/Oak Café.
- Maintain stock in The Welcome Center and The Shop at Naumkeag. This includes, but is not limited to: restocking, maintaining/adjusting merchandising as needed, maintaining correct signage, and daily maintenance/cleaning of spaces and displays.
- 1-3 years of previous retail experience.
- Able to provide respectful, exceptional customer service to all guests with a friendly, courteous, and confident demeanor.
- Strong ability to request and close membership sales.
- Comfortable learning and using POS system, handling cash, and making credit card sales.
- Able to handle multiple tasks and unexpected situations in a calm manner.
- Reliable and punctual.
- Willingness to address needs and interests of all visitors.
- Team-oriented, with a professional, positive attitude towards all staff, volunteers, and guests.
- Able to commit to the position for the entire season (April through November).
- Availability to work at least one day each weekend and some evenings.
- Available to work some holidays.
This position requires the ability to stand and walk for long periods of time, climb steep inclines and multiple flights of stairs, as well as working indoors and outdoors in inclement, hot, and cold weather conditions.
This is a seasonal, non-exempt, hourly paid position, with an optimal start date in mid-April. This position is based in Stockbridge, MA.
Please Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
How To Apply:
August 27, 2018
About this Organization:
The Trustees is a member-supported, non-profit conservation and preservation
organization founded in 1891 to preserve properties of exceptional scenic,
historic, and ecological value within Massachusetts and to educate the public
about the value of this effort. The Trustees is a recognized
leader in protecting and managing natural and historic resources for public
use. Our passion is to share with everyone the irreplaceable natural and cultural treasures we care for.