Director of Creative Media & Technology
Since 1991, ZUMIX has provided music & creative technology programs for youth ages 7-18 in the Greater Boston area. We offer out-of-school programs throughout the year including: audio & video technology, songwriting, community radio, and instrumental music instruction. ZUMIX’s goal is to foster young people’s personal, artistic, civic, and professional development and build 21st century skills needed to succeed in college and career. For more information on our work, please visit www.zumix.org.
Reports to: Executive Director
The Director of Creative Media & Technology (CM&T) leads a dedicated and diverse team of full time and part time staff who provide programming in audio, video, radio broadcast, and repair/tech. In addition the Director of CM&T is responsible for overarching initiatives, programs, systems, and relationships pertaining to the CM&T department as well as ZUMIX as a whole.
The Director of CM&T is a vital member of the ZUMIX management team, which currently includes the Executive Director, Business Manager, Director of Advancement, and Director of Operations. This team, along with program staff and youth leaders, drive programmatic and creative vision, and many of the processes that support this dynamic organization.
• Hire, train, supervise, and support CM&T staff, youth staff, and volunteers
• Manage administrative functions and systems for CM&T department
• Serve as a member of the ZUMIX Management team
• Oversee ZUMIX Live Sound Service & ZUMIX Recording Service
• Manage administration and distribution of ZUMIX's digital music output
• Establish, strengthen, and maintain relationships with partners, clients, and donors
• Corporate donor cultivation (audio/video/radio specific)
• Program design and curriculum development for CM&T department
• Direct Service: Teach live sound reinforcement, studio recording, electronic music production to ZUMIX participants age 12-18
• Coordinate guest artist visits, supplemental trainings, and interdisciplinary workshops for staff and students
• Work closely with Director of Operations to ensure program excellence
Facility & Systems
• Design and ongoing maintenance of technology spaces and systems
• Coordinate equipment inventory, maintenance, and repair
• Selection and purchasing of CM&T software and hardware
• Demonstrated professional experience in at least 2 of the following areas: live sound production, studio management and/or recording/mixing
• 5+ years experience in youth development/education, preferably in a nonprofit/community-based setting or public school.
• 3+ years experience in a supervisory or management position
• Degree in nonprofit administration, arts or music education, or media/technology preferred, Masters degree strongly preferred
• Strong budgeting skills, and experience purchasing in volume and for institutional use
• Excellent relationship building and interpersonal communication skills, including a sense of humor
• Ability to manage multiple, cross-departmental priorities and campaigns, and work collaboratively
• Musical experience as a performer, songwriter or teacher strongly preferred
• Proficiency at professional level with many of the following: Avid Pro Tools, Propellerheads Reason, iZotope plugins including Ozone and RX, loudspeaker management, analog and digital consoles, outboard processing, microphones and placement, multitrack recording and mixing of 16+ tracks, mixing for live broadcast
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, and Apple OS/iOS
• Strong project management skills; an ability to thrive working under deadlines and handling multiple tasks without sacrificing attention to detail.
• Strong audio hardware and software troubleshooting skills
• Ability to be a strategic partner and leader among a team with diverse roles and viewpoints
• Strong commitment to youth development and the arts.
• Proactive approach to problem-solving
• Strong commitment to breaking the cycle of unequal representation in creative technology fields. (note - more than 50% of Z-Tech’s youth participants are female and many are Spanish speakers.)
Women and Spanish speakers are encouraged to apply
ZUMIX does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
Benefits include generous paid vacation, holidays, & sick days, life insurance, health insurance, dental insurance, professional development funds, and a creative, flexible organizational culture
How To Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume as well as three professional references to Jenny M. Shulman, Director of Operations at email@example.com
In the subject line, please write Director of Creative Media & Technology followed by your last name.
August 30, 2018
High 40's to Low 50's
About this Organization:
ZUMIX is a nonprofit organization that empowers youth to use music to make strong positive change in their lives, their communities, and the world.