Boston Center for the Arts is seeking Gallery Attendants for the Mills Gallery! Our upcoming exhibition, The Skin Has Eyes, will be curated by Maya Erdelyi. This exhibition highlights contemporary animators who create physical works as part of their practice (both process and product) along with fine artists who experiment with animation. These artists are working across various mediums, including film strips and direct animation, cut-paper stop-motion, sculpture, drawing, painting, zoetropes, traditional animation processes, palimpsests and projections. The skin of the medium becomes alive through animation.
Participating artists include Amanda Bonaiuto, Alexandra Borovski, Ernesto Caivano, Eric Dyer, Maya Erdelyi, Evan Fellers, Jake Fried, Tyler Giordano, Laura Harrison, Gina Kamentsky, Amy Lee Ketchum, Hayley Morris, Ashley Wick, and more.
Working as a Gallery Attendant is a chance to gain hands on experience working in a contemporary arts environment, while also building connections with curators, artists, and administrators in the Boston arts community. Gallery Attendants are the face of the BCA and an important link between the gallery and our public. They oversee the safety of exhibited work while creating a welcoming, informative environment for visitors.
Gallery Attendant responsibilities include:
- Opening and closing gallery, including activating artwork
- Initiating and encouraging dialogue with visitors
- Conducting research about the exhibit and artists on view
- Maintaining safety and security of artwork on view
- Collecting visitor information
- Assisting with events and performances in the gallery
- Serving as a general resource for our public, providing information about BCA programs, exhibits, performances, and events
We offer Attendants:
Shifts for Gallery Attendants are:
- Invitations to exclusive talks given by artists, performers, and curators
- Professional gallery operations experience
- New relationships and networks in the Boston art world and beyond
- Opportunities to take on additional responsibilities, including Gallery Attendant talks about artwork on view and content creation for marketing
- Valuable visitor service training including an introduction to educational theories and techniques
Thu 12-5pm, 5-9pm
Fri 12-5pm, 5-9pm
Sat 12-5pm, 5-9pm
Gallery Attendants usually sign up for 1-3 shifts a week. Our current show will run Feb 23-Apr 28
About this Organization:
Boston Center for the Arts is an historic nonprofit performing and visual arts complex that supports working artists to create, perform and exhibit new work; builds new audiences and connects art to community.
BCA is located in Boston's South End, the largest landmark district in the United States. BCA is a four acre complex that includes: The Cyclorama, built in 1884 to display a panorama painting, is on the National Register of Historic Places. The 23,000 square foot Cyclorama rotunda is now the site of exhibitions, performances and community events and houses the Community Music Center of Boston, the Art Connection, the Boston Ballet Costume Shop, three small theaters and a rehearsal studio. The Tremont Estates Building, originally an organ factory built in 1850, now houses over 50 artist studios, the Mills Gallery, two rehearsal spaces and Banyan Bar + Refuge. Boston Ballet's headquarters, a 1991 building designed by noted architect Graham Gund, houses rehearsal and administrative spaces, and a ballet school. For more information, please visit, www.bcaonline.org