Museum Tour Guide
Job Title: Museum Tour Guide, Royall House and Slave Quarters
Opportunity for creative, imaginative and enthusiastic people to join a dynamic nonprofit on the forefront of public history.Overview
In the eighteenth century, the Royall House and Slave Quarters was home to the largest slaveholding family in Massachusetts and the enslaved Africans who made their lavish way of life possible. Today, the Royall House and Slave Quarters is a museum whose architecture, household items, archaeological artifacts, and programs bear witness to intertwined stories of wealth and bondage, set against the backdrop of America’s quest for independence. The Royall House and Slave Quarters is a National Historic Landmark located in Medford Massachusetts.Duties andResponsibilities
Tour guides are responsible for helping people visit unfamiliar areas. In the case of the Royall House and Slave Quarters the unfamiliar terrain is that of slavery in colonial New England. The position of museum tour guide is responsible for leading tours of the mansion, slave quarters and grounds. The foundation of the tour is a discussion of colonial slavery in New England. Against that backdrop we relate the interdependent stories of the Royall family and the people - Belinda, Primus, Prine and many more - that they enslaved on this plantation. Finally we address the contribution of unpaid labor to the colonial economy. Great tour guides are interested in the subject matter and bring energy and enthusiasm to their work.
- Availability to conduct public tours on Saturdays and Sundays at 1, 2, and 3PM. The tour season runs from the May 19th weekend to the last weekend in October. There may be opportunities for additional private and group tour work on weekdays based on desire and availability.
- Ability to lead up to three group tours in a three hour period, each tour lasting approximately 45 minutes (some tours may run over due to the size of the group).
- Ability to speak in front of a group of up to 15 people (occasionally as many as 20) and to answer questions.
- Ability to create an atmosphere where all visitors feel welcome and respected.
- Ability to discuss material that makes some people feel uncomfortable while creating an open, question friendly, environment.
- Ability to conduct a tour that requires standing, walking and climbing stairs in an 18th century mansion and on grass covered grounds.
Relevant experience includes but is not limited to: museum guide or docent, teaching, group or project leadership, public speaking, facilitation, diversity leadership.
How To Apply: Process
Please submit a resume and letter of interest to Director@royallhouse.org
by April 22, 2018. You may also mail the same to the Royall House and Slave Quarters, 15 George Street, Medford, MA 02155. Please email any questions toDirector@royallhouse.org
and someone will get back to you promptly.
We will host an Open House for prospective guides on April 21, 2018 from 11- 2PM at the Royall House and Slave Quarters, 15 George Street, Medford, MA. Feel free to drop by if you are interested in becoming a museum tour guide, have not seen the museum and would like a tour, if you have questions or just to say “hi.”
Training for guides will occur on May 5, 2018 from 9AM-12PM and May 9, 2018 from 6-8PM. Please note that attendance at both sessions is requested, not one or the other. If you cannot make one of these dates we could possibly schedule a back up date.
April 22, 2018
About this Organization:
In the eighteenth century, the Royall House and Slave Quarters was home to the largest slaveholding family in Massachusetts and the enslaved Africans who made their lavish way of life possible. Today, the Royall House and Slave Quarters is a museum whose architecture, household items, archaeological artifacts, and programs bear witness to intertwined stories of wealth and bondage.